Baton Rouge Civil Litigation Attorneys
A Highly-Experienced Civil Litigation Team Representing Corporate and Business Clients in Federal District Court in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
If your company needs to take legal action to protect its financial interests, intangible assets or market position, or if you are being forced to defend against allegations of impropriety, hiring the right legal team can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. In order to execute a targeted and cost-effective litigation strategy, you need lawyers who have extensive experience securing the leverage needed to negotiate favorable outcomes, but who are also equally experienced trying cases in federal district court.
At Oberheiden, P.C., the attorneys on our civil litigation team represent clients on both sides of a broad range of complex civil disputes. Whether you are preparing to go to battle with a competitor or you need to defend against allegations in a civil enforcement proceeding involving the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Office of Inspector General (OIG), or the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), our attorneys can represent you effectively. We handle cases before the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana in Baton Rouge as well as other federal venues around the country, and our civil litigation attorneys are highly experienced with protecting our clients’ interests as efficiently, strategically, and thoroughly as possible.
Civil Litigation Attorneys for Private Disputes and Government Enforcement Proceedings in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Our civil litigation team represents healthcare providers, publicly-traded companies, and other business clients in all types of legal matters. We handle civil matters at all stages, from pre-litigation strategy through trial and appeals, and we represent Baton Rouge-based clients as well as regional and national clients facing federal litigation in the Middle District of Louisiana.
Our federal civil litigation practice consists of representing clients in the following areas:
- Business Litigation – Our attorneys represent corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs), partnerships, professional associations, and company owners and executives in business litigation involving issues ranging from breach of contract to intellectual property infringement. In many cases, prompt legal action can be essential to mitigating a company’s risk of loss or damage to its public reputation, and our attorneys are skilled at utilizing prompt intervention strategies and aggressive pre-trial tactics to protect our clients’ interests.
- Healthcare Litigation – We represent medical facilities, healthcare providers, testing laboratories, treatment clinics, durable medical equipment (DME) companies, and other clients in all types of healthcare litigation. This includes disputes between providers and their vendors as well as civil enforcement proceedings involving allegations of Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare and Department of Labor (DOL) fraud. Several of our attorneys are former federal healthcare fraud prosecutors with the DOJ, and we have successfully represented clients in high-stakes healthcare civil litigation matters across the country.
- Securities Litigation – Our securities litigation practice involves representing corporate entities in private litigation and federal enforcement proceedings as well as representing brokers, investment advisors, financial institutions, executives, board members, and other clients in matters involving allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, sales practice violations, insider trading, and other securities law violations. We represent publicly-traded companies in all litigation matters involving the offering and sale of securities, and we represent private entities accused of improperly offering unregistered securities.
- Emergency & Media Litigation – In situations where a threat to your company’s public reputation equates to a threat to your company’s survival as a going concern, no legal options should be off of the table. We provide crisis management representation for clients facing high-profile and high-conflict disputes, including situations involving disclosure of trade secrets and defamation in the news and on social media. We provide comprehensive legal advice and representation for clients in this area, including with respect to public relations, media involvement, and seeking expedited relief in federal district court.
- Trial Litigation – Litigated disputes rarely involve one single discrete issue. From substantive claims and counterclaims to complex procedural matters involving electronic discovery and selection of jurisdiction and venue, an effective litigation team needs to be able to respond immediately when new developments change the trajectory of civil litigation. With our attorneys’ experience representing clients in thousands of private litigated disputes and government enforcement proceedings across the country, we are able to skillfully and strategically address all issues arising during the course of complex civil litigation.
- Appellate Litigation – We represent clients in federal appellate litigation before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and other federal appellate courts nationwide. The attorneys in our appellate practice are highly-skilled brief writers and oral advocates, and our trial attorneys work closely with our appellate attorneys to efficiently identify and pursue appropriate arguments and defenses on appeal.
Q&A with Firm Founder and Federal Civil Litigation Attorney Dr. Nick Oberheiden
Q: My company has been contacted by a federal agency (such as the DOJ, OIG, or SEC) regarding alleged federal statutory violations. What do I need to do?
If you have been contacted by federal authorities, one of the first things you need to do is determine the nature and scope of the government’s inquiry. Why is your company under investigation? Is the investigation civil or criminal in nature?
Discerning the answers to these questions during the early stages of a federal investigation can be surprisingly difficult, and early intervention can be crucial to avoiding unnecessary consequences. At Oberheiden, P.C., we can use our experience to quickly determine the risks you are facing, and we can execute a defense strategy focused on the specific factual and legal allegations at hand. If the DOJ’s, OIG’s, or SEC’s investigation is criminal in nature, we can provide criminal defense representation as well.
Q: I need to enforce a contract with a vendor or former employee but I don’t want to deal with the hassle and expense of going to court. What can your firm do to help me?
You are not alone in wanting to resolve your dispute as quickly and efficiently as possible. At Oberheiden, P.C. are sensitive to the practicalities and business realities of facing protracted litigation, and we focus on resolving our clients’ disputes through out-of-court settlements in virtually all cases. We will utilize a variety of pre-trial strategies designed to secure the leverage needed to secure a favorable result prior to trial; however, we will not completely foreclose the possibility of courtroom litigation until it is in your company’s interests to do so.
Q: I need to take legal action to protect my company, but we don’t have a contract under which to sue. What options do I have available?
While a breach of contract claim is one way to take legal action, it is far from the only option available. In addition to representing business clients in contract-based litigation, we also routinely advise and represent clients with regard to civil disputes involving:
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Breach of implied warranty
- Defamation (libel or slander)
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Intellectual property infringement
- Statutory violations
- Tortious interference
- Other tort-based claims
To learn more about these and other potential causes of action in federal civil litigation, you can read: When is it Time to Litigate? 10 Common Causes of Action in Business Litigation.
Q: My company has just been sued in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana. What do I need to know?
If your company is facing a federal lawsuit in Baton Rouge, there is plenty you need to know. But, one of the most immediate concerns is your company’s deadline to respond. In order to avoid the risk of a default judgment, you must timely file a formal answer; and, if you have been served with discovery requests, you need to prepare an appropriate initial response to these as well. Our civil litigation attorneys can guide you through every step of the process, and we can also assess whether you may have counterclaims or third-party claims available to mitigate, avoid, or shift liability.
Schedule a Complimentary Case Assessment in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
To discuss your case with a member of our federal civil litigation team, please call 225-277-2415 or contact us online. Our attorneys are available by phone 24/7; and, if desired, we can arrange for you to meet with a member of our team in Baton Rouge as soon as possible.