Colorado Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer
Our trusted Colorado federal criminal defense lawyers offer more than 100 years of experience and represent clients in Denver, Colorado Springs, and throughout Colorado. If you have been served with a grand jury subpoena, if you are under investigation, or if you are facing federal charges, call 888-680-1745 for a free and confidential consultation.
At Oberheiden, P.C., our clients choose us for our success rate in forcefully defending federal criminal charges. Our team includes both former Department of Justice prosecutors and knowledgeable defense lawyers who are able to give you proven strategies to defend against charges in Colorado. Give us a call today and learn how a former federal trial lawyer assesses your case. Our lawyers are licensed to practice in all Colorado federal courts in Denver, Durango, Colorado Springs, and Grand Junction, and many other courts across the country.
Are You in Trouble with the Government?
Have you recently received a target letter or a grand jury subpoena from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Denver (1801 California Street, Suite 1600 in Denver, Colorado 80202), the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Durango (103 Sheppard Dr. in Durango, Colorado 81303) or the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Grand Junction (205 North 4th Street, Suite 400 in Grand Junction, Colorado 81501)? Has someone told you that you are under federal investigation or that you have been accused of a federal crime? Have you been arrested or do you think there may be warrant out against you? Is your reputation, your career, or your very freedom on the line?
If so, it is time to get a lawyer. Here’s what you need to know about current federal investigations. The United States Justice Department has recently instructed federal prosecutors in Colorado and elsewhere to aggressively investigate and prosecute all federal offenses. Hardly a day goes by without the media reporting on raids, indictments, arrests, and convictions for federal crimes. Because the penalties for a federal crime may include years or even life in prison, you must choose the right Colorado federal criminal defense attorney to represent you – one with experience in your type of case.
Trusted & Determined: Oberheiden, P.C.
Oberheiden, P.C. has a proven track record that includes a century of experience. Many of our attorneys have previously served in supervisory and lead trial positions in the U.S. Attorney’s office and have an in-depth, first-hand knowledge of how the criminal justice system works in federal court. Skilled litigators, former federal prosecutors, former Assistant U.S. Attorneys, and former Justice Department trial attorneys are here to help protect your rights against the government. We have achieved the following results for our clients:
- Avoidance of all criminal charges in a majority of cases
- Dismissal of indictments
- Acquittal at trial
- Sentences of probation rather than prison time
Also, we have:
- Tried more than 500 criminal cases in court
- Handled more than 1000 grand jury subpoenas
- Handled over 1000 federal criminal cases
- Collectively have 100 years of experience in the Department of Justice
There is one common mistake that we see repeatedly in cases we review: underestimating the seriousness of a federal criminal charge. The federal justice system is completely different than a Colorado state court. The best domestic violence or DUI lawyer in town is often not a good choice to negotiate and dominate the conversation with the FBI or government prosecutors. At Oberheiden, P.C., we take immediate actions to protect our clients in federal cases. Call us today and speak to a former government prosecutor who knows exactly the techniques the federal government will employ to build a case against you, and how to knock that case down with proven strategies.
Which Lawyer Will Represent me Against Federal Charges in Colorado?
Oberheiden, P.C. is not your typical law firm. We do not employ associates, first-year lawyers, paralegals, or legal assistants. We believe that each of our clients deserves to be represented by a senior defense lawyer with a proven track record in federal trials and criminal cases. Nothing can replace experience. When your freedom is on the line, you don’t want to roll the dice.
This Is How We Fight Federal Charges in Colorado
Just because you have received a grand jury subpoena or a target letter does not necessarily mean that you will be indicted. In many cases, if you respond quickly and in a sophisticate manner, criminal charges will be defeated before they even start. On the other hand, if you ignore a subpoena or provide an inadequate or dishonest response, you will almost certainly find yourself on the receiving end of an indictment. Respond properly and you too can have the results that we have achieved for so many other clients.
- Avoiding Criminal Charges. Our attorneys know how to avoid criminal charges at the outset of an investigation. Our firm has closed many investigations with no charges, turned criminal investigations into civil cases, and saved multiple clients years of prison time when they were wrongfully accused.
- Obtaining Release on Bond. One major difference between federal and state criminal charges is the process and likelihood of release on bond pending trial. We have a success rate of almost 100% in getting our clients released on bond in federal cases.
- Dismissing Charges. Repeatedly, the lawyers at our firm have convinced federal judges or prosecutors to dismiss or take back indictments that have already been presented. Such an outcome is very rare and should not be assumed, but the fact that we have achieved this result on multiple occasions is just one example of the knowledge and skills our attorneys exemplify.
- Introducing Defenses. Every criminal offense requires proof of some level of intent. In addition, each has its own litany of defenses that can be presented to make conduct that seems illegal perfectly lawful. At Oberheiden, P.C., we have repeatedly and successfully defended our clients by demonstrating to the court, the jury, or the prosecutor that the alleged misconduct either never happened, happened as the result of a simple mistake (and not intentionally), or is rendered legal by a valid defense or exception to the law.
- Handling Federal Cases. Almost every federal crime, including all types of federal conspiracies, have been addressed by our lawyers during their careers. Just as examples, we have defended our clients against charges of internet or computer crimes, possession of narcotics, possession with intent to distribute, felon in possession of a firearm, Hobbs Act violations, RICO charges, kidnapping, bank robbery, violations of the False Claims Act, mail or wire fraud, bribery, tax evasion, tax fraud, bank fraud, public corruption, healthcare fraud including Medicare, Medicaid, and commercial insurance fraud, insider trading, securities fraud, Ponzi schemes, mortgage or real estate fraud, and violations of the anti-kickback statute.
- Prevailing in Court. The good news is that while the government has to convince twelve jurors beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed a crime, our lawyers only need to show one person that there is some doubt that the government is incorrect in order to destroy the government’s case. We have appeared in courts throughout the United States due to our reputation as successful federal defense lawyers, and have zealously advocated for our clients against unfair prosecution cases and tactics.
In our experience, the sooner a potential defendant or target of a government investigation or potential witness before a grand jury hires an experienced, knowledgeable attorney, the more likely they are to avoid or beat federal criminal charges. If you think you might need a lawyer, we encourage you to call us today – do not wait. The more time the government has to build a case against you without resistance, the less time you have to convince them that you have a valid defense prior to arrest or indictment. All initial case consultations are free and confidential.
We Are Successful Trial Lawyers First and Foremost
At Oberheiden, P.C., our lawyers are known for their powerful presentations in court. Prosecutors know that we try cases. Indeed, many of our clients choose us because they do not believe they have committed a crime, and they want lawyers that can and will successfully try cases in front of judges or juries.
Our lawyers will not recommend a bad plea deal. Instead, we approach every case with the intent to take it to trial. Making this assumption at the outset enables us to fully examine every aspect and nuance of the case while testing and besting the government at its own game. Prosecuting our clients will be the farthest thing imaginable from shooting fish in a barrel. For that reason, prosecutors think twice about bringing or pursuing charges against our clients. What prosecutor, after all, is comfortable going to court against an entire team of former federal prosecutors, Department of Justice trial attorneys, and seasoned defense attorneys with years more court experience than the prosecutor?
Our lawyers have been lead counsel for some of the largest, most complex, and most anticipated trials in the history of the United States. That type of experience can’t be replicated. Our experience now serves to benefit our clients.
Why Do Clients in Colorado Select Oberheiden, P.C.?
1. We Concentrate on Federal Criminal Law and Federal Cases
Many lawyers practice “door law” – they take whatever case walks through the door, from murder to DUI to burglary. At Oberheiden, P.C., we only take on federal criminal cases. This choice is intentional because the federal system is where our experience lies. The truth is that the federal justice system is entirely different from state systems. We believe that true excellence as attorneys comes from focusing exclusively on one system or the other. For that reason, our attorneys spend much of their time meeting and negotiating with agents and attorneys from various federal agencies, including the Department of Justice, the FBI, the IRS, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Department of Health and Human Services, Homeland Security, the Office of Inspector General, the Department of Defense, and the US Attorney’s Office. Our clients benefit from our exclusive focus on federal cases, because we know the agencies, the system, and the strategies from our decades of experience in the federal system.
2. We Achieve Impressive Results
We put ourselves against the largest and best known law firms to compare track records and find that ours is unmatched. We frequently avoid federal criminal charges for all kinds of federal cases in courts across the country. In many cases, we take over from a previous lawyer and improve the perceived outcome. We frequently turn our clients from targets into witnesses, turn criminal cases into civil ones, successfully negotiate with federal prosecutors, and win in courts – not just once or twice, but hundreds of times. All told, we have saved our clients hundreds or even thousands of years of imprisonment.
3. We Have Assembled a Winning Team
Oberheiden, P.C. does not employ associates, paralegals, or secretaries. We believe that every case deserves the attention of senior lawyers. Our Colorado federal criminal defense attorneys are seasoned litigators with strong academic records and targeted experience in the federal justice system. Together, we work as one team to discovery and utilize the best strategies and the most compelling ideas for your defense. In addition to those identified above, our team includes:
The experienced defense lawyers and former federal prosecutors of Oberheiden, P.C. are here seven days a week, including weekends, to answer your questions and discuss your case with you. Call now to find out how our experienced team of former prosecutors and defense attorneys analyzes your specific situation and what steps they recommend you take to protect your reputation, finances, and freedom. Calls are free and confidential.
Frequently Asked Questions About Federal Prosecutions in Colorado
What Should I Do if I’m Indicted?
The term indictment refers to the formal charging instrument used to initiate federal criminal proceedings. If you were indicted, it means that federal prosecutors presented evidence to a grand jury that found there was probable cause to charge you with a federal crime. Notably, this does not mean that you are, or will be found guilty of the charged offenses. However, it does mean that you should speak with a Colorado federal criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your case and go over your options.
Who Will Handle My Case?
You will be represented directly by senior lawyers at all times, including experienced defense attorneys and former prosecutors. We do not rely on junior lawyers or paralegals at Oberheiden, P.C., nor will you ever call and speak to a secretary. We understand that your case is important and your freedom is on the line. From the minute you hire us, you can be assured that only senior attorneys will be working on your case.
What Is Your Track Record in Cases like Mine?
We have achieved favorable results for our clients in hundreds of criminal cases and government investigations, including cases involving opioids, money laundering, possession and distribution of narcotics, mail and wire fraud, tax evasion, healthcare fraud, federal conspiracies, and insider trading.
When Should I Retain an Attorney?
In one word: immediately. Waiting to hire an attorney is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. Ignoring the government will not make them go away. The longer you wait to find an attorney to start a vigorous defense of your case, the longer you have given the government to investigate you, your business, your co-workers or partners, your employees, and maybe even your family members. The best defense to stop a government investigation is an effective and forceful attorney on your side. To discuss your case with a senior attorney today, call us for a free and confidential consultation.
Call Today for a Free Case Analysis From Experienced Colorado Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
Are you facing federal criminal charges in Colorado? Our Colorado federal criminal defense attorneys are available seven days a week, including weekends, for your free, confidential consultation. If you are under investigation or concerned that the government is seeking to file charges against you, please do not hesitate to reach out to attorneys that have prosecuted and defended hundreds of cases before yours at Oberheiden, P.C.. Oberheiden, P.C.
Compliance – Litigation – Defense
Other state pages can be found here.
Additional Pages for Colorado
- Colorado healthcare fraud defense
- Colorado Medicare fraud defense
- Colorado Springs federal criminal defense
- Denver federal criminal defense
- Denver healthcare fraud defense
- Grand Junction federal criminal defense
- Pueblo federal criminal defense
Dr. Nick Oberheiden, founder of Oberheiden P.C., focuses his litigation practice on white-collar criminal defense, government investigations, SEC & FCPA enforcement, and commercial litigation.