How Internal Investigations Can Protect Companies Against Liability in Federal Cases
Oberheiden, P.C.’s Team of Former DOJ Prosecutors and FBI Agents Conduct Privileged Internal Corporate Internal Investigations Focused on Providing Documentary Support for Key Defense Strategies in High-Stakes Federal Cases
Consider these Examples. A hospital is under investigation because one of its surgeons engaged in severe malpractice. A pharmacy chain received a grand jury subpoena because one of its referring doctors got indicted for opioid fraud. A federal government contractor is the target of a federal whistleblower action filed by a former employee. A capital investment firm suspects irregularities in its accounting department. A Medicare provider receives a civil investigative demand (CID) due to alleged billing errors. Allegations of bribery or corruption.
What do all of these examples have in common? In each case, a professionally-operated business suddenly finds itself exposed to litigation and the potential for civil or criminal penalties due to factors that are beyond its control.
If your business or practice is at risk for being targeted in a federal civil enforcement action or criminal indictment, the federal defense team at Oberheiden P.C. can help you. In fact, all of the examples above are based on real-world cases in which we successfully defended our clients against civil and criminal penalties. In each case, our team of experienced corporate defense counsel and former FBI agents conducted a privileged internal investigation, went to the bottom of the allegations, and discreetly cleared our client of any liability for the misconduct of others.
Oberheiden, P.C. is a Unique Law Firm with a Distinguished Reputation and a National Presence
At Oberheiden, P.C., we maintain a practice focused on federal defense that prioritizes securing quick, discrete, and positive results for our clients. With local counsel and former federal agents stationed throughout the country, we offer full-service representation on a national scale. We work as one team in all parts of the United States and its territories, and we conduct confidential, comprehensive, and attorney-client privileged internal corporate investigations designed to facilitate effective and efficient defense strategies.
Our firm is unique from other law firms in many respects, and the unique aspects of our practice have allowed us to cultivate a national reputation as proven and respected federal defense attorneys. Here is what you can expect as a client of Oberheiden, P.C.:
- You Will Work Directly with Former DOJ Prosecutors, Former U.S. Attorneys, and Former Assistant U.S. Attorneys. Several of the attorneys at Oberheiden, P.C. previously served as prosecutors with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Attorneys, and Assistant U.S. Attorneys. This experience allows us to understand federal cases from the government’s point of view and tailor our investigations and defense strategies accordingly.
- You Will Work Directly with Former Supervisory Special Agents from the IRS, DEA, OIG, and DOD. Our team also includes former supervisory special agents who built distinguished careers with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Offices of Inspector General (OIG), Department of Defense (DOD), and other federal agencies. Similar to our former federal prosecutors, our former federal agents know exactly what to expect if and when the government launches a targeted investigation.
- You Will Not Work with Junior Lawyers or Associates. How can we guarantee that no junior lawyers or associates will work on your case? It’s simple: We don’t have any. Federal cases are too important and too complex to trust to inexperienced attorneys, and we would rather represent our clients efficiently than hire a bunch of young lawyers to run up the bill.
- We Will Be Prepared to Represent You Effectively on a National Scale. With our nationwide network of local counsel, we are prepared to represent all of our clients on a national scale. Whether your company has multiple locations across the country, you need someone on the ground dealing with the authorities in Washington D.C., or you need representation in multiple federal jurisdictions, we can be available when and where you need us.
- You Will have Well Over a Century of Relevant Experience on Your Side at All Times. With our team approach, our clients have well over a century of relevant experience on their side at all times. When your company is being targeted by a federal agency (or perhaps multiple federal agencies), and when your company and its top-level personnel are at risk for civil or criminal prosecution, you need to be able to rely on sound legal advice. We have the experience you need to feel confident every step of the way.
If your business is facing a catastrophic legal challenge, you cannot afford to gamble. You cannot afford to jeopardize what you have built. Don’t let junior lawyers or associates experiment with your company’s (and perhaps your) future. Get help from real professionals who know how to defend you and your company effectively. Protect your board members, your management, and your company’s owners with the help of lawyers, consultants, and investigators who have a long history of achieving favorable results in complex and high-stakes federal matters.
This is How Oberheiden P.C. Will Protect Your Company’s Integrity, Reputation, and Future
When you engage our firm to represent you, we will begin working on your company’s defense immediately. We will work with you to identify the appropriate internal contacts for your company’s internal investigation, and we will establish the parameters for the investigation while simultaneously deploying the necessary resources remotely and on the ground. We will be in close contact with you throughout this process, and we will maintain this close contact for the remainder of our representation.
Instead of working with inexperienced junior lawyers or expensive armadas of attorneys, you will work with a select team of true professionals who have decades of experience handling investigations, fraud detection, and corporate compliance. As a client of our firm, your team will include:
- Dr. Nick Oberheiden – Founder and Attorney
- Joe Brown – Former U.S. Attorney & Former District Attorney
- Amanda S. Marshall – Former U.S. Attorney
- Randy Till – Former Inspector-in-Charge (U.S. Postal Inspection Service)
- Michael Koslow – Former Supervisory Special Agent (DOD, OIG)
- Roger Bach – Former Supervisory Special Agent (DOJ, OIG)
- Chris Quick – Former Supervisory Special Agent (FBI) and Special Agent (IRS-CI)
- Kevin Sheridan – Former Supervisory Special Agent (FBI)
- Dennis Wichern – Former Special Agent-in-Charge (DEA)
About Our Founder, Federal Defense Attorney Nick Oberheiden, PhD
You are at the right firm. Dr. Nick Oberheiden has represented clients all over the country and demonstrated that fraud allegations are rarely true. He has helped clients avoid civil liability and criminal charges in hundreds of audits, investigations, whistleblower cases, and grand jury proceedings. As our firm’s founder and lead attorney, Nick represents clients and oversees our firm’s investigations team, and he works to ensure that every client of Oberheiden, P.C. achieves a favorable result as quickly, quietly, and cost-effectively as possible.
This is What You Can Expect When You Choose Oberheiden, P.C.
Your company is under attack. The federal government is investigating allegations that one of your employees or business partners has violated the law, and perhaps a whistleblower has filed a complaint that contains serious allegations of corporate wrongdoing. You need experienced legal representation, and you need it now.
Here is what you can expect when you choose Oberheiden, P.C.:
1. Immediate and Decisive Action
As a result of our attorneys’ and former federal agents’ vast experience, we are able to hit the ground running. We can begin advising you and your company’s other leaders immediately, and we can put the wheels in motion for your internal corporate investigation right away.
2. An Appropriately-Tailored Internal Corporate Investigation
We will tailor the scope of your internal corporate investigation to the particular circumstances at hand. While we will be as comprehensive as necessary, we will also be no more comprehensive than necessary, and we will ensure that your company’s sensitive information remains fully protected at all times.
3. An Informed Defense Strategy
Once the investigation is complete, we will utilize the information gathered to build a fully-informed defense strategy. We will assess the facts at hand in light of the relevant federal laws and regulations, and we will prepare to convince the government that your company isn’t liable.
4. A Relentless Approach
Once we make contact with the authorities handling your company’s case, we will work relentlessly to achieve a favorable result. We will diligently pursue all viable defense strategies, and we will maintain a proactive approach that keeps your company one step ahead.
5. A Favorable Result
We have resolved the vast majority of our clients’ cases without civil or criminal charges being filed. As your company’s federal defense counsel, we will be 100% committed to protecting your company to the fullest extent possible.
Contact Us Now to Discuss the Next Steps for Your Internal Corporate Investigation
Do you need to conduct an internal corporate investigation? If so, it is imperative that you choose highly-experienced outside counsel to provide independent oversight and preserve the attorney-client privilege. To speak with a member of our federal defense team about your company’s investigation in confidence, call 888-680-1745 or inquire online now.