Internal Investigations: Detecting Fraud Before the Government Intervenes
Our Former Federal Prosecutors and Agents are Available to Protect Your Company, Your Board, and Your Management
Is Your Company Exposed? Company owners and boards of directors nationwide rely on Oberheiden P.C. to protect their companies against the consequences of actual and alleged misconduct by their employees and business affiliates. Executives and compliance officers from across the United States have trusted our team of former Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents and experienced corporate defense attorneys to identify and fix potential compliance issues discretely and efficiently in the areas of securities law, employment law, healthcare law, and corporate governance.
Is your company at risk? Could your executives, board members, or managers be targeted for civil or criminal prosecution in the event of a government inquiry? Contact Oberheiden, P.C. today to learn more about our representation in the areas of:
- Employment Litigation and Fraud Defense
- Healthcare Fraud Defense (Including Representation of Hospitals, Conglomerates, Physician Groups, and Pharmacy Chains)
- Investment Fraud, Accounting Fraud, and Financial Fraud Defense
- Whistleblower Defense Solutions
This Is Why Oberheiden P.C. Is Different than Any Firm You May Find
When your situation requires outside counsel for an internal investigation, you have two choices. You can hire a large national firm—and pay for an armada of young associate attorneys fresh out of law school who will bill you for endless document review and legal research assignments. Or, you can hire Oberheiden P.C.’s team of former U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) attorneys and highly-decorated former FBI Supervisory Special Agents who are committed to efficiently protecting our clients’ interests in the real world. At Oberheiden, P.C., we offer:
- No Junior Lawyers, No Associates
- Seasoned FBI and DOJ Veterans
- One Stop-Shop: Lawyers & FBI Agents All in One Firm
- 24/7 Accessibility Across the United States
In addition to our in-house team, we also work closely with a network of former DOJ officials and investigators. Our network of former Supervisory Special Agents from the FBI, DOJ, Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and Department of Defense (DOD) is spread across the U.S. and instantly available to meet with you onsite to discuss your company’s circumstances. With far in excess of 100 years of leading federal law enforcement experience, we have the knowledge and insights required to think like government investigators while offering practical and efficient compliance and defense representation.
Our team of federal attorneys and investigators includes:
- Dr. Nick Oberheiden – Founder and Attorney
- Lynette Byrd – Former U.S. Department of Justice Attorney
- Amanda Marshall – Former U.S. Attorney
- Chris Quick – Former Supervisory Special Agent (FBI) and Special Agent (IRS-CI)
- Dennis Wichern – Former Special Agent-in-Charge (DEA)
- Gamal Abdel – Former Supervisory Special Agent (FBI)
- Kevin Sheridan – Former Supervisory Special Agent (FBI)
- Michael Koslow – Former Supervisory Special Agent (DOD, OIG)
- Roger Bach – Former Supervisory Special Agent (DOJ, OIG)
Recent Case Results
As we provide representation for internal investigations, federal compliance, and federal defense, we have amassed a substantial track record of protecting our clients at all stages of complex and high-stakes federal matters. Some recent examples of successes achieved on behalf of our clients include:
- Whistleblower Defense. We have successfully defended hundreds of businesses from all industry sectors in federal whistleblower cases, convincing the government to discontinue its investigations and formally dismissing whistleblower complaints in court. In one recent case, we were engaged by a large healthcare practice which found itself under investigation for healthcare fraud. The business received a civil investigative demand (CID) that contained requests for the production of voluminous financial records, billing statements, and other corporate documents. Once we identified the whistleblower as former employee with no credibility, we were able to convince the government to drastically reduce the scope of the CID in the interest of a quick and uncomplicated resolution, and we ultimately achieved a settlement that resulted in no civil or criminal liability for our client. This result—like many others—was made possible by an efficient and comprehensive internal investigation that produced the information required to convince the government that federal prosecution was unwarranted.
- Federal Contract Fraud. Complying with the myriad regulations that govern federal contracts is not easy. In cases across the U.S., our attorneys have proven their exceptional skill in helping business owners successfully navigate federal contract fraud audits and investigations. No client of Oberheiden, P.C. has ever been charged with criminal contract fraud, and we largely attribute this fact to our voluntary corporate self-audit program which serves as an efficient way to both identify and fix issues that have the potential to garner federal scrutiny. Under this program, a team of former FBI and DOD agents supervised by federal defense lawyer Dr. Nick Oberheiden analyzes our client’s exposure and then takes proactive steps to remedy any issues before they become a serious threat. The earlier a client calls us, the higher the chances that we are able to secure a quick and favorable resolution that prevents a federal contract fraud inquiry from interfering with our client’s day-to-day business operations.
- Illegal Employees (Employment Fraud). Federal employment law compliance is a persistent challenge for many companies. In one recent case, a manufacturing business became aware of deficiencies in the hiring process administered by its former human resources (HR) team. It subsequently found itself facing a multi-agency audit involving the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and other federal agencies. Rather than simply waiting for the government to pursue the audit and issue a determination, our team conducted an internal corporate investigation to get out in front of the issues at hand. We examined why mistakes were made and who made them, and established policies to give the government reassurance that the errors previously committed by our client’s former HR team would not reoccur. With this reassurance in hand, the government chose not to pursue the case further.
- Financial Fraud. Our federal defense attorneys and former IRS, FBI, OIG, and DOJ agents have substantial experience advising and representing accountants, accounting departments, tax preparers, investment firms, and banks with regard to detecting irregularities before allegations of impropriety trigger a government investigation. Our attorneys, certified fraud examiners, former agents, and other investigative professionals offer clients the tools and strategies they need to survive federal government audits, subpoenas, and investigations; and, by conducting prompt and targeted internal investigations, and we have successfully resolved numerous federal matters involving allegations of financial fraud and related offenses prior to federal charges being filed.
How We Are Different
There truly is no other law firm like Oberheiden P.C. What makes us different compared to any other law firm is the experience of our team and the proven results we have achieved for our clients. When we are handling high-stakes federal matters, we don’t experiment. We utilize strategies that have been honed through decades of practice, and we rely on our nationwide network to handle our clients’ investigative, compliance, and defense needs as efficiently as possible. Other factors that set us apart include:
- Our Nationwide Presence. Covering Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Washington D.C., Houston, Dallas, and many more cities throughout the country, our nationwide network provides the local presence of experienced partner-level federal defense lawyers and former agents where our clients’ offices are located.
- Our Former FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA, and DOJ Agents. More than a team of senior, highly-experienced attorney, our firm also offers clients the unique insights of former FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA, and DOJ agents who have decades of experience investigating fraud and other white-collar cases on behalf of the federal government.
- Our Former High-Ranking Federal Prosecutors. Unlike most other firms, at Oberheiden, P.C., our experience is not limited to defense representation. Several of our senior attorneys previously served in high-ranking positions with the DOJ and the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Find out for yourself why companies nationwide choose Oberheiden, P.C. for internal investigations, federal compliance, and federal civil and criminal defense. Let us devise a strategy to protect your company, and let us take care of your current situation while you continue to focus on your business’s long-term success.
Call us today. We are confident that 10 minutes with us will save you hours spent with lawyers who do not understand your industry, the process of handling an internal investigation, or the risks of facing a federal audit or investigation. Don’t waste your time. When you choose Dr. Nick Oberheiden and the team at Oberheiden, P.C., you will see why so many clients before you have trusted our firm to protect their financial standing, their reputation, and their freedom.
Contact Oberheiden, P.C. Now for a Confidential Initial Consultation
If you are concerned that your company, your board, or your senior-level management could be at risk for federal civil or criminal prosecution, conducting a corporate investigation is the first step toward avoiding unnecessary consequences. For more information about how we handle internal investigations, call 888-680-1745 or request a confidential initial consultation online now. Headquartered in in Dallas, TX and with a network of local counsel across the country, we serve companies nationwide.