Corporate Private Investigator
Conducting a corporate investigation requires tact, skill, and substantive knowledge of the legal issues involved. At Oberheiden P.C., our private investigators are former FBI agents who have decades of experience in complex and high-stakes investigations.
Oberheiden P.C. is a corporate compliance and defense law firm that conducts investigations on behalf of companies across the country, as a corporate private investigator. We represent public and private companies of all sizes, and we conduct investigations targeting both internal and external matters.
Our firm is comprised entirely of senior-level attorneys, consultants, and investigators. For corporate investigations, we deploy a team of professionals who are not only extremely well-versed in corporate investigations practices, protocols, and procedures, but who also offer deep substantive knowledge of the legal issues underlying the investigation. During corporate investigations, we rely in particular on the experience of our former Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents, who bring decades of experience to helping our clients strategically and effectively gather the information they need in order to make informed decisions.
A Federal Compliance and Defense Law Firm with Former High-Ranking FBI Agents for Corporate Investigations
Conducting an effective corporate investigation is not easy. Whether the investigation is targeting possible employee misconduct or an external cybersecurity threat, and whether the investigation needs to be conducted covertly or with complete transparency, it is imperative to take a systematic approach that is informed by a clear understanding of the legal, practical, and financial implications involved.
At Oberheiden P.C., our corporate private investigators conduct strategic, targeted, and results-oriented investigations focused on efficiently gathering critical information while also ensuring that our clients’ other interests remain secure. The former FBI agents who help lead our clients’ corporate investigations include:
- Maura Kelley, Former FBI Special Agent – Maura Kelley is a former FBI Special Agent with more than 30 years of investigative experience. Her areas of focus include securities and commodities fraud, corporate fraud, bank fraud, embezzlement, and cryptocurrency. During her tenure with the FBI, Ms. Kelley worked on several high-profile corporate investigations, including the agency’s largest-ever mortgage fraud takedown and the investigation that led to the shutdown of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange.
- Chris Quick, Former FBI Special Agent – Chris Quick is a former FBI Special Agent who served the federal government for 30 years. His areas of focus include white-collar offenses, financial crimes, and national security and counterterrorism. Mr. Quick’s experience in corporate investigations ranges from bank fraud and healthcare fraud to espionage and public corruption; and, prior to joining the FBI, he served as a Special Agent with Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations (IRS CI).
- Kevin Sheridan, Former FBI Supervisory Special Agent – Kevin Sheridan is a former FBI Supervisory Special Agent who served the agency for 20 years. His areas of focus include financial crimes, healthcare fraud, and other white-collar offenses; national security and counterintelligence, and aviation security. Mr. Sheridan has managed and supervised large-scale, high-profile, and sensitive corporate investigations in major cities across the country, and he served as the FBI’s primary investigator in the agency’s investigation into the 1996 Presidential Election Campaign centered on President Clinton and the Democratic National Committee.
- Ray Yuen, Former FBI Supervisory Special Agent – Ray Yuen is a former FBI Supervisory Special Agent who spent more than 20 years managing and overseeing corporate investigations at the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). His areas of focus include financial fraud and other white-collar offenses, national security and counterterrorism, and cross-border investigations. Mr. Yuen has overseen successful investigations targeting an extraordinarily broad range of issues, and his FBI career took him to countries including China, South Africa, and Taiwan.
Our Corporate Private Investigator Services
Our former FBI agents serve as corporate private investigators for all types of sensitive matters. We handle corporate investigations from conception through completion, and we manage the entire process every step of the way. Our former FBI agents and senior compliance and defense lawyers lead our clients’ investigation teams, and we help our clients carefully select the internal personnel who should be involved.
Our corporate investigations practice covers all types of internal and external investigations. The former FBI agents at Oberheiden P.C. are available to serve as corporate private investigators for matters including:
- Bribery and public corruption investigations
- Corporate matters with national security implications
- Executive and board member breach of fiduciary duty investigations
- Data breaches and other cybersecurity threats
- Employee investigations (including discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and fraud claims)
- Federal crime prevention and defense (including fraud, tax evasion, and other white-collar allegations)
- Financial fraud and accounting fraud investigations
- Intellectual property theft, counterfeiting, and infringement litigation
- Libel, slander, and online damage to corporate reputation
- Shareholder derivative claims and litigation
When conducting a corporate investigation, it is essential that information pertaining to (and uncovered during) the investigation be shared only on a need-to-know basis. When conducting corporate investigations, we implement and manage strict physical and logical security controls to ensure that all sensitive information remains completely secure. While our lawyers and corporate private investigators can work within our clients’ systems and parameters as and when necessary, we can also supply the technological and other resources required to conduct a secure, controlled, and efficient investigation.
We Provide Effective Corporate Investigation Services with Actionable Results
In order for a corporate investigation to serve its intended purpose, it needs to produce actionable intelligence, and it cannot leave questions unanswered. With our lawyers’ and former FBI agents’ extensive experience, we are able to focus our investigative efforts on gathering information our clients can use to make informed decisions, and we are able to help our clients make informed and strategic decisions based upon the information we uncover.
In broad terms, a corporate investigation can have three primary outcomes: (i) it can affirm adequate compliance and corporate security, (ii) it can expose areas where additional compliance or security measures are necessary, or (iii) it can serve as the basis for an offensive or defensive litigation strategy. As a federal compliance and defense law firm, not only do we assist our clients with corporate investigations, but we provide representation for corporate compliance, commercial litigation, and federal law enforcement matters as well.
FAQs: What Do Company Executives and In-House Lawyers Need to Know about Hiring a Corporate Private Investigator?
Q: Do I need to engage an outside law firm to conduct a corporate investigation?
Yes, regardless of your company’s size, and regardless of the nature of the investigation it needs to conduct, it is imperative to engage an outside law firm to manage and oversee the process. Not only does conducting a corporate investigation require a particular skillset and subject-matter knowledge, but engaging an outside law firm also ensures that the investigation will be subject to the protections of the attorney-client privilege.
Q: What is the process for conducting an internal or external corporate investigation?
Whether targeting information that is available internally or externally, conducting a corporate investigation involves a series of steps that need to be taken sequentially—and that need to be tailored to the specific circumstances involved. The major steps in a corporate investigation include: (i) determining the scope of the investigation, (ii) establishing necessary security protocols and procedures, (iii) assembling the investigation team, (iv) gathering all available intelligence, (v) evaluating the intelligence gathered, (vi) assessing necessary and appropriate next steps, and (vii) executing a post-investigation corporate compliance or litigation strategy.
Q: Why is it important to choose a firm that has corporate private investigators who are former FBI agents?
Former FBI agents who have decades of experience working for the agency can offer a wealth of investigative insights that can only be gained from this type of experience. Not only can former FBI agents efficiently assess the requirements of an investigation and deploy appropriate investigative strategies, but they can also examine the issues involved in the investigation from the federal government’s perspective. For issues that have potential federal law enforcement implications, this is essential.
Q: What experience and insights can a former FBI agent bring to the table during a corporate investigation?
The FBI is the nation’s top domestic investigative agency, and it pours billions of dollars into recruiting, training, and investigations each year. As a result, senior FBI agents have a wealth of knowledge and experience that they are able to utilize in helping companies conduct targeted, strategic, and effective internal and external investigations.
Q: When is it time to consult with a law firm regarding an internal or external corporate investigation?
For corporate executives and in-house lawyers who are contemplating an internal or external investigation, it is important to engage outside counsel at the outset of the investigative process. This will ensure that the entire process is as cohesive and efficient as possible, and it will allow you to rely on the firm’s advice and insights every step of the way.
Schedule a Complimentary Consultation with a Senior Lawyer or Corporate Private Investigator at Oberheiden P.C.
Do you have questions about conducting a corporate investigation? If so, we encourage you to schedule a free and confidential consultation at Oberheiden P.C. To speak with one of our senior lawyers or corporate private investigators in confidence, please call 888-680-1745 or contact us online today.