Champaign, Illinois Healthcare Fraud Defense Attorneys
Experienced Attorneys and Litigators Defending Healthcare Professionals from Fraud Charges in Champaign, IL
Centrally located between three of the Midwest’s largest cities, Champaign, IL is a growing hub for businesses in the healthcare industry and others seeking to grab a piece of the Midwest market. If you live, work, or own a business in Champaign and you are under investigation or facing a legal dispute, or if you need assistance with healthcare compliance, the attorneys at the Oberheiden, P.C. can help. Contact us now for a confidential consultation.
With several office locations around the country, Oberheiden, P.C. is a team of experienced attorneys and former federal prosecutors who represent clients in healthcare law compliance and enforcement matters, business disputes, and criminal prosecutions involving serious federal charges. If you or your business needs legal help, it pays to put experience on your side. At Oberheiden, P.C., we are litigators who have a long track record of securing favorable results for our clients – most of our cases have ended in no criminal charges. We have the resources, insights, and strategic focus needed to protect your interests in court, and we are available to take action quickly for your case in Champaign, IL.
What We Do
At Oberheiden, P.C., we focus our practice in four primary areas: Healthcare compliance, healthcare fraud defense, criminal defense, and business litigation.
With an extensive background in healthcare law, firm founder Nick Oberheiden combines his knowledge with the insights of our firm’s former federal healthcare fraud prosecutors to provide sage advice for clients in the area of healthcare compliance. From the Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and Department of Labor billing requirements to laws such as the Stark Law and False Claims Act that impose severe criminal penalties for a wide range of violations, businesses in Champaign, Illinois must maintain a constant focus on compliance. As the regulatory landscape is constantly evolving, healthcare compliance is an ongoing process that requires a strong commitment to doing what the law requires in order to avoid civil and criminal penalties.
In our healthcare law compliance practice, we focus on ensuring that our clients have the structures, systems, policies, and procedures in place to run their businesses confidently without fear that they could be unknowingly exposing themselves to liability. Whether you are establishing a new healthcare organization or you need to refocus your attention on your company’s current practices, our experienced healthcare attorneys can assist with:
- Compliance with Fraud and Abuse Laws, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPAA, OSHA, and other Federal Healthcare Statutes
- Establishment and Implementation of Employment Manuals and Policies
- Internal Compliance Trainings
- Organization of Management Services Organizations (MSOs), Physician Practice Management companies (PPMs), and other Business Structures
- Preparation of Operating Agreements, Marketing Agreements, and Other Contracts
Healthcare Fraud Defense
If you or your business is under investigation for healthcare fraud, it is critical that you speak with an attorney before the investigation leads to charges. Healthcare fraud can carry both civil and criminal penalties; but, with experienced legal representation during your investigation, you may be able to keep all of these penalties off of the table.
At Oberheiden, P.C., we represent individuals and corporate clients in healthcare fraud investigations and prosecutions throughout the greater Champaign, IL area, including:
- Business Owners
- Medical Providers
- Pharmacists and Pharmacies
- Management Services Organizations (MSOs)
“Healthcare fraud” is a broad term that encompasses violations of a wide variety of federal laws. While healthcare fraud investigations commonly involve allegations of improper billing practices under federal healthcare benefit programs (Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and Department of Labor), there are numerous other issues that can garner the attention of federal investigators and prosecutors as well. As former federal prosecutors, our attorneys know federal healthcare investigations inside and out, and we can use our unique insights to help minimize the consequences of your federal healthcare fraud investigation.
In addition to healthcare fraud cases, our defense attorneys represent clients in a range of other federal criminal cases. Regardless of the allegations or charges against you, prompt intervention is critical, and you do not want to wait until the government has already built a case before you seek legal representation.
At Oberheiden, P.C., we represent clients in Champaign and throughout the United States who are under investigation or facing federal charges for:
- Conspiracy to Distribute Drugs and Other Drug-Related Offenses
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) and Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)
- Money Laundering
- Tax Evasion
- Violent Offenses and Property Crimes
Our firm also provides experienced legal representation for business disputes in and around Champaign, IL. We rely on our extensive experience as negotiators and litigators to find strategic, cost-effective solutions for protecting our clients’ businesses. We are available to represent Champaign-area businesses as well as out-of-state companies facing litigation in Illinois in cases involving:
- Contract Disputes
- Divorce Impacts on Business
- Employment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Issues (including Copyright, Patent, Trademark, and Trade Secret Infringement)
- Non-Compete Violations
- Partnership and Shareholder Disputes
- Securities Litigation
- Theft, Fraud, and Forgery Issues (including Misappropriation of Funds)
- Tortious Interference
Oberheiden, P.C.: Our Team
Oberheiden, P.C. is led by Dr. Nick Oberheiden, firm founder and experienced litigator in the areas of healthcare law, criminal defense, and business disputes. In addition to representing clients on a case-by-case basis, Dr. Oberheiden has also served as outside chief counsel for several national companies, providing day-to-day advice and litigation representation for healthcare compliance, federal securities, Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, and other matters.
Oberheiden, P.C.: Our Approach
At Oberheiden, P.C., we pride ourselves on taking a unique approach that has proven time and again to serve our clients effectively in negotiations with prosecutors and counterparties and, when necessary, in court. Our attorneys:
- Assess – When you contact us about your investigation, charges, or business dispute, we will quickly provide a thorough assessment of the circumstances and your legal rights. Understanding the situation is the first step toward building an effective, strategic defense, and we want to make sure you avoid any mistakes that could lead to further legal issues.
- Intervene – In federal government investigations, we seek to intervene as soon as possible. We will make contact with the investigators and prosecutors to let them know that we are now on your side. This early intervention is critical, and it is a major factor in resolving cases before they lead to civil or criminal charges.
- Negotiate – If at all possible, we will seek to negotiate a favorable resolution prior to trial. Whether that means convincing prosecutors not to bring charges or negotiating for reduced charges in order to keep certain penalties off of the table, we will pursue a personalized strategy focused on securing the best possible outcome in light of the facts at hand.
- Prepare – Preparation is key, and we emphasize thorough preparation at each stage of our representation. From approaching negotiations to moving toward trial, our goal is to be prepared for all possible contingencies in order to reduce uncertainty and control the course of the proceedings.
- Litigate – Finally, when necessary, we litigate vigorously to protect our clients’ interests at trial. In both civil and criminal matters, we bring the same aggressive and strategic approach designed to cast doubt on the prosecution’s case or the counterparty’s claims in the minds of the judge and jury. Relying on decades of experience and thorough pre-trial preparation, our attorneys strive to present convincing arguments that leave little room for doubt about the proper outcome.
Oberheiden, P.C.: Our Results
Thanks to this approach, we and our clients have enjoyed a consistent record of favorable outcomes. The following is just a small sampling of the results we have achieved in healthcare fraud investigations and other federal civil and criminal matters:
- Numerous federal fraud investigations led by the Department of Justice: No charges.
- Numerous False Claims Act, Stark Law, and Medicare fraud investigations involving the Department of Justice, Office of Inspector General, and Department of Health and Human Resources: No civil or criminal liability; case dismissed.
- Federal drug charge investigation with possibility of 45 years in federal prison: No civil or criminal liability.
- Tricare fraud investigation involving nationally operating laboratory: No civil or criminal liability.
- Numerous qui tam lawsuits against national and regional healthcare clients, including toxicology laboratories: Government declined to intervene; no civil or criminal liability.
Schedule an Appointment at Oberheiden, P.C.
If you would like to speak with the healthcare fraud defense attorneys and litigators at Oberheiden, P.C., please contact us to arrange a confidential initial consultation. You can contact us 24/7, and if we do not respond immediately we will get back to you as soon as possible. From Champaign, Illinois, call 888-680-1745 or request a consultation online to start protecting your personal and business interests today.