U.S. Litigation Law Firm Representing German Companies and Executives
Our Firm Represents German Businesses and Executives in U.S. Litigation Involving Private Companies, Public Companies, and the United States Government.
Doing business in the U.S. presents many opportunities for foreign companies, but it presents many risks as well. From the risk of violating federal law and facing scrutiny from the U.S. government to facing civil or commercial litigation on U.S. soil, foreign companies and their executives can suddenly find themselves navigating deep and murky waters. At Oberheiden P.C., we represent German companies and executives in U.S. litigation, and our German-speaking attorneys rely on decades of experience to help our foreign clients protect their interests as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Matters We Handle
Within our international litigation defense practice, we represent foreign clients in private litigation and in litigation involving the U.S. government. While these are often entirely separate matters, allegations of federal statutory violations can lead to simultaneous civil litigation and U.S. government enforcement proceedings. As a result, when we represent German clients, one of our first priorities is to discern the scope of our client’s risk exposure: Is there a risk of civil liability or U.S. government enforcement action only? Or, could litigation on multiple fronts lead to substantially increased exposure?
Regardless of the scope of our clients’ risk, at Oberheiden P.C. we have the capabilities and resources required to defend our clients effectively. We have a nationwide network of senior-level attorneys who are able to handle litigation in federal jurisdictions throughout the United States, and we have litigation consultants and investigators who are available to provide assistance as necessary. As a result, we can defend German companies and their executives regardless of where in the U.S. their litigation defense needs arise, and we can provide skilled representation and strategic advice whether our clients are being sued or they are facing the prospect of federal prosecution by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).
Civil and Commercial Litigation Involving U.S. Companies
Our senior attorneys are available to represent German companies and executives in civil and commercial litigation instituted by U.S. companies in all federal jurisdictions throughout the United States. We have extensive federal litigation experience, and our attorneys have litigated cases through trial in federal courts across the country. Some examples of the areas in which we represent German clients in U.S. litigation include:
- Contract Litigation – We represent German clients in U.S. litigation involving vendor and supplier agreements, software licenses, leases, acquisitions, engineering and construction, research and development (R&D), joint ventures, business investments, and other contractual matters.
- Intellectual Property Litigation – We represent German clients in U.S. litigation involving allegations of patent, trademark, trade secret, and copyright infringement and misappropriation, as well as licensing disputes and other intellectual property-related matters.
- Trade and Counterfeiting Litigation – We represent German clients in U.S. litigation involving trade disputes, including allegations of importing counterfeit goods into the United States. We also handle matters involving representations, warranties, and other trade-related matters.
- Investment and Securities Litigation – We represent German clients in U.S. litigation involving investments in companies in the technology, healthcare, pharmaceutical, and automotive industries, among others. This includes, but is not limited to, litigation involving private-right-of-action claims under U.S. securities laws.
- Antitrust Litigation – We represent German clients in U.S. litigation involving private-right-of-action claims under U.S. antitrust laws as well. This includes, but is not limited to, claims related to price fixing, unlawful restraints of trade, and monopolization.
- Judgment Enforcement Litigation – We represent German clients in U.S. litigation involving efforts to enforce judgments obtained in the U.S., in Germany, and in other jurisdictions around the world. This includes, but is not limited to, litigation involving assets subject to the oversight of the U.S. Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC).
- International Arbitration in the U.S. – In addition to courtroom litigation, we also represent German clients in international arbitration taking place on U.S. soil. This includes mandatory arbitration as agreed upon between contracting parties, as well as arbitration voluntarily pursued as an alternative to litigation in U.S. federal district court.
U.S. Government Enforcement Actions and Litigation
If the U.S. government is investigating your company or you personally, it is imperative that you engage experienced defense counsel promptly. At Oberheiden P.C., we have extensive experience representing domestic and foreign clients in a broad range of U.S. federal law enforcement matters. We defend companies and individuals during audits, investigations, civil enforcement proceedings, and criminal prosecutions, and we have a substantial track record of achieving favorable results for our clients.
Our areas of representation for federal litigation involving the U.S. government include:
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption Litigation – We handle Federal Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigations and enforcement proceedings on behalf of German companies doing business in the United States and seeking to do business with the U.S. government.
- Antitrust Litigation – We handle investigations and litigation involving enforcement efforts under the Sherman Act, the Clayton Act, and the Federal Trade Commission Act instituted by the DOJ’s Antitrust Division and other federal authorities.
- Controlled Substances Litigation – We defend German pharmaceutical companies, their executives, and other clients against allegations of violating the U.S. Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and the myriad other federal laws that apply to the importation and sale of prescription, over-the-counter, and illegal drugs in the United States.
- Import-Export Litigation – U.S. import-export laws regulate virtually all aspects of bringing goods into the U.S. and transporting goods out of the U.S. to Europe and elsewhere overseas. We represent German companies and executives in import-export litigation involving both tangible and intangible goods.
- Immigration Litigation – Immigration-related issues are many foreign companies’ first introduction to the U.S. legal system. We represent German companies and executives in all matters pertaining to bringing foreign citizens into the United States for business purposes and hiring undocumented workers.
- Securities Litigation – The DOJ and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) routinely pursue litigation against foreign companies suspected of defrauding U.S. investors. This includes everything from committing public disclosure violations to conducting unregistered initial public offerings (IPOs) and initial coin offerings (ICOs).
- Tax Litigation – We represent German companies and their executives in all litigation matters involving the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN). This includes audits (and audit appeals) as well as criminal cases involving alleged violations of the U.S. tax laws.
Why Choose Oberheiden P.C. for Litigation Defense in the U.S.?
If your company is facing litigation in the U.S., or if you personally need to defend against litigation in the U.S. as a German citizen, it is important that you engage experienced federal defense counsel. Here are five reasons to choose Oberheiden P.C.:
1. Founding Attorney Nick Oberheiden, PhD is German Native Who Speaks German Fluently
Founding attorney Nick Oberheiden, PhD was born in Germany and speaks German fluently. After receiving his law degree from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), Nick returned to Germany to earn his doctorate from the University of Heidelberg, School of Law. He is will known as an authority in the area of international litigation and has personally represented hundreds of clients in complex civil litigation and U.S. government enforcement matters.
2. Many of Our Lawyers and Consultants Formerly Worked for the U.S. Government
Our firm is comprised entirely of senior-level attorneys and consultants, and many of our lawyers and consultants are in their second careers after spending years or decades working for the U.S. government. Our senior international defense attorneys and litigation consultants include:
- Former U.S. Attorneys and Assistant U.S. Attorneys
- Former District Attorneys
- Former DOJ Trial Attorneys
- Former Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Special Agents, Supervisory Special Agents, and Special Agents in Charge
- Former U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Special Agents in Charge
- Former IRS Criminal Investigations (IRS CI) Special Agent
- Former high-ranking agents with the DOJ, U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), U.S. Department of Defense (DOD), and other agencies
3. We Have Extensive Track Records in Civil, Commercial, and Government Litigation
Our attorneys have extensive track records securing favorable results for domestic and foreign clients in all types of civil, commercial, and government litigation in the U.S. courts. In U.S. government matters, we are frequently able to resolve our clients’ cases before formal charges get filed.
4. We are Able to Represent Foreign Clients in All U.S. Jurisdictions Nationwide
With our nationwide network of senior-level attorneys, we are able to provide representation for German clients in all U.S. jurisdictions nationwide. This applies to civil and commercial litigation as well as investigations and enforcement proceedings involving the DOJ, DEA, FBI, IRS, and all other federal agencies.
5. Our Attorneys Make Themselves Available 24/7
When dealing with litigation in the U.S., companies and individuals in Germany and other European nations can face various logistical challenges. With our experience representing international clients, we are familiar with these challenges, and we have implemented tools, strategies, and procedures to overcome them. In addition, our attorneys make themselves available 24/7, so our clients do not have to adapt their schedules to any U.S. time zone.
Arrange a Complimentary Initial Consultation with a Senior International Litigation Attorney at Oberheiden P.C.
If you would like to speak Dr. Oberheiden or any of our other senior attorneys about your legal needs in the United States, we encourage you to contact us promptly. For a free and confidential case assessment, call 888-680-1745 or tell us how we can reach you online now.