Detroit Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys
Skilled Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys for Individuals and Business Entities Facing Investigation or Prosecution in Detroit, Michigan
Oberheiden, P.C. is a federal defense law firm dedicated to representing clients in federal criminal matters in Detroit, Michigan and other major cities across the country. Our criminal defense team is comprised of attorneys with decades of experience on both sides of federal investigations and prosecutions. Our team includes former U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) trial attorneys who have worked with all major federal law enforcement agencies in a broad range of large-scale criminal cases. From securities fraud to healthcare fraud, and from drug crimes to internet-related white-collar offenses, our Detroit federal criminal defense attorneys have the experience needed to address the needs of individuals and companies against unnecessary consequences resulting from all types of federal inquiries.
Are You (or Your Business or Practice) Under Federal Investigation?
The DOJ, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and other federal agencies have numerous law enforcement priorities. Individuals and businesses in many industries (such as healthcare) are facing enhanced scrutiny; and with huge budgets for targeting all types of federal offenses, federal authorities are aggressively pursuing cases in Detroit, Michigan, and the surrounding area. Investigations and indictments have become a regular occurrence, with prosecutors routinely issuing target letters and subpoenas in order to collect the evidence needed to bring federal charges. Many of these charges carry substantial penalties. Federal criminal laws often provide for substantial fines and prison time; and in a major criminal case it is not unusual for a defendant to face multiple counts under multiple statutes. Fines can easily reach into the millions, and many defendants will be facing the prospect of spending decades in prison. If you, your business, or your professional practice is under investigation, you need to act fast. You need to intervene in the investigation, and you need to make sure you avoid critical mistakes that could result in having to face trial. Our criminal defense team can take immediate and aggressive action to defend you. We can make contact with the investigators and prosecutors involved in your case, assess your exposure, and execute a comprehensive defense strategy focused on resolving your federal case as quickly and favorably as possible.
About Our Federal Criminal Defense Team
Our criminal defense team has a proven record of success in complex federal cases. Relying on decades of experience inside the DOJ, we aggressively attack the government’s case. We tailor our defense strategy to address the specific strategies that federal agencies use in various types of criminal cases. We are able to use our government experience to address the issues that triggered our clients’ investigations – and that are most likely to lead to an indictment or charges. At Oberheiden, P.C., we offer:
- A track record of dismissing federal indictments and resolving the majority of our clients’ cases without the issuance of charges.
- Experience in more than 1,000 federal cases and more than 1,000 federal grand jury subpoenas.
- An unmatched trial resume, which includes representing clients in more than 500 criminal trials.
- 70 years of experience inside of the DOJ, and decades more experience as criminal defense lawyers.
- A unique team approach which combines the collective knowledge and insights of our senior attorneys – and never involves farming out assignments to junior lawyers or associates.
This last point is important. Defending against a federal investigation or indictment is not a task for a single attorney. It takes a team. Furthermore, junior associates lack the practical experience and legal savvy needed to go toe-to-toe with tenured federal prosecutors. At Oberheiden, P.C., we truly put decades of experience on your side, and we do not ask you to accept anything less than the best we have to offer.
What Our Detroit Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Do to Help
An investigation does not have to lead to an indictment, and an indictment does not have to lead to charges. If you have already been charged, you have a long way to go before you need to be worried about an uncertain outcome at trial. When we defend clients in federal cases, we take an exhaustive approach that keeps all options on the table while emphasizing what we know to be the government’s priorities. We keep the pressure on until we know that our client’s best interests have been secured. In a typical case, our representation involves:
- Avoiding Criminal Charges. If you are not charged, you cannot be convicted. This simple truth guides our approach of working aggressively to help our clients avoid federal charges. When charges cannot be avoided entirely, we seek to keep our clients’ cases civil in nature so that prison time is not a concern.
- Securing Bond. Securing bond is a critical step toward resolving a criminal case prior to trial, and we have close to a 100% success rate in obtaining bond for our clients.
- Dismissing Indictments. An indictment can only issue once prosecutors have established probable cause for pursuing federal charges. Despite this, we have repeatedly been successful in having clients’ indictments dismissed.
- Challenging the Government’s Evidence. In order to succeed at trial, federal prosecutors must be able to prove each element of their case beyond a reasonable doubt. If the government’s evidence is lacking in any respect, conviction is unjustified. We are skilled at poking holes in the government’s case and convincing prosecutors that they do not have the evidence required to succeed at trial.
- Asserting Affirmative Defenses. In many cases, we will be able to assert affirmative defenses to protect our clients as well. Our Detroit federal criminal defense lawyers routinely rely on safe harbors, statutory exceptions, and other key legal authorities to protect clients whose conduct might be unlawful were it not for these protections.
- Trial Defense. While our priority is to resolve our clients’ cases quickly and privately without the need for trial, we also have extensive courtroom experience which includes avoiding conviction in hundreds of bench and jury trials.
Why Do Clients Choose Oberheiden, P.C.?
When choosing a criminal defense attorney, one of the best ways to make an informed decision is to seek recommendations from past clients. So, why have thousands of clients chosen the attorneys at Oberheiden, P.C.?
1. Our Federal Practice
At Oberheiden, P.C., we are federal lawyers. We handle federal criminal matters, and we have decades of experience on both sides of complex cases in federal criminal court.
2. Our Focus on Pre-Trial Resolution
We want to resolve your case as quickly and favorably as possible. Your needs come first, and our intention is to resolve your case without consequences, or to negotiate a plea deal that allows you to move on with your life.
3. Our Proven Trial Record
While we focus on pre-trial resolution, our record shows that we are fully-prepared to take our clients’ cases to trial.
4. Our Team Approach
At Oberheiden, P.C., you have a defense team, not a defense attorney.
5. Our Accessibility
The criminal process does not stop until your case is over. We know what your case means to you, and we are here for you 24/7.
Detroit, Michigan Federal Criminal Defense FAQs
What is a target letter?
Typically, federal law enforcement agents and prosecutors classify anyone who is potentially involved in a federal crime into one of three categories” witnesses, subjects, or targets When the Department of Justice believes someone committed a federal crime, they send a target letter indicating that the person is the “target” of a federal investigation. If you received a target letter, the government has its sights set on you. Of course, this does not mean that you are guilty or that you will be found guilty. However, it does mean that you should reach out to a knowledgeable Detroit, Michigan federal criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible to begin preparing your defense strategy.
Should I try to negotiate a plea agreement or take the case to trial?
If you are facing federal criminal charges in Detroit, it is impossible to determine what the best course of action is without first speaking with an experienced Detroit, MI federal criminal defense attorney. In some situations, having an attorney negotiate with federal prosecutors can result in a favorable outcome; however, that is not always the case. Often, approaching prosecutors is a sign that you believe you have a weak case. You don’t want to unnecessarily strengthen the prosecutors’ already strong belief that you are guilty. An experienced Michigan federal criminal defense attorney will discuss the case with you, determine the best course of action, and, if the situation calls for it, negotiate on your behalf.
What is the grand jury’s role in a federal criminal case?
In the federal system, the grand jury determines whether federal prosecutors have established “probable cause” that the target of their investigation committed the offense in question. Grand juries consist of regular citizens, who hear the federal government’s case againt one or more people. Grand jury proceedings are secret, meaning the person “on trial” does not ordinarily know they are under investigation and is not present. In this way, grand juries are very different from a traditional criminal trial jury that determines the guilt of a defendant. If you received word that you are involved in a grand jury investigation, it is important you seek counsel from an experienced Detroit, Michigan federal criminal defense attorney immediately.
Do federal prosecutors ever withdraw charges?
While federal prosecutors can withdraw charges, it is highly unlikely unless you either agree to enter a guilty plea on certain charges or give them no choice but to withdraw. The other way to stop a federal case in its tracks is to have the court dismiss the case. However, this too is rare because federal prosecutors are among the most highly skilled prosecutors in the country. They only reach this level of practice after years—often decades—of experience. They rarely make mistakes. If you are facing criminal charges in federal court, you deserve a Detroit federal criminal defense attorney with just as much experience.
Contact the Trusted Detroit Federal Criminal Defense Attorney Now for Your Free Case Assessment
If you need a defense team for a federal criminal matter , contact Oberheiden, P.C. now to arrange a free and confidential case assessment. You do not have time to waste, so put our experienced Detroit federal criminal defense lawyers and former federal prosecutors on your side today.
Additional Pages for Detroit, Michigan
- Detroit anti kickback defense
- Detroit False Claims Act & Qui Tam defense
- Detroit healthcare fraud defense
- Detroit hospice fraud defense
- Detroit Medicare fraud defense