New Orleans Civil Litigation Attorneys
Business disputes and federal enforcement proceedings can wreak havoc on companies’ day-to-day operations and their bottom lines. When a dispute arises or a federal agency such as the Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Inspector General (OIG), or Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) serves your company with a subpoena or civil investigative demand, your business can come to a screeching halt, and yet things can start to move more quickly than you are prepared to handle.
At Oberheiden, P.C., we work to relieve our clients of the burdens of civil litigation. By taking a comprehensive and proactive approach to protecting our clients’ interests in private negotiations and in court, we ensure that the impacts our clients’ cases have on their businesses are as minimal as possible. With centuries of combined legal experience, our attorneys understand what is at stake in civil litigation from both the business and legal perspectives, and we work diligently to achieve favorable outcomes for our clients cost-effectively and without unfavorable publicity.
Civil Litigation Attorneys Handling Trials and Appeals in New Orleans, Louisiana
Our civil litigation practice consists of representing public and private entities as well as their owners, executives, and board members in informal dispute resolution proceedings, administrative proceedings, federal trials, and circuit court and Supreme Court appeals. Our clients include health care providers, publicly-traded companies, and private companies in a broad array of industries, and we have attorneys who are licensed to practice in Louisiana’s federal courts and other federal jurisdictions nationwide. Regardless of the scope and severity of your case – and regardless of your company’s posture in the litigation – we can represent you effectively, and we can use our extensive federal litigation experience to help you make informed and strategic decisions at every step along the way.
All of our firm’s civil litigators are highly-experienced federal attorneys who have years or decades of experience representing clients in high-value litigation. Our team approach ensures not only that we approach our clients’ cases from all angles, but also that we are able to advance our clients’ interests as cost-effectively as possible. When you choose Oberheiden, P.C. for your federal civil litigation matter in New Orleans, Louisiana:
- We Will Act Immediately if Necessary. If necessary, we can seek immediate injunctive relief in federal district court or take immediate action to defend you or your company against damaging allegations.
- We Will Clearly Explain Your Options. We will explain your options in practical terms and provide you with the information you need to act strategically.
- We Will Constantly Re-Evaluate Your Company’s Position. As the litigation progresses, we will constantly re-evaluate your company’s position in order to determine whether any adjustments to our case strategy are required.
- We Will Secure Leverage by All Available Means. From strategic use of electronic discovery to aggressive pre-trial litigation tactics, we will seek to secure leverage by all available means in order to drive your case toward a favorable settlement.
- We Will be Ready for Trial. Utilizing our attorneys’ extensive legal knowledge and our firm’s state-of-the-art technological resources, we will ensure that we are fully prepared to protect your company’s interests at trial, and on appeal, if necessary.
Cases We Handle
We represent clients in all types of civil litigation in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana as well as appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. Our experience includes negotiating settlements and obtaining favorable outcomes for clients in matters including:
- Business Litigation– Our attorneys’ experience in business litigation spans from contract disputes to cases involving hacking and misappropriation of intellectual property. We provide results-oriented representation focused on protecting our clients’ interests as efficiently as possible, whether that means aggressively pursuing litigation or strategically defending against claims for liability.
- Health Care Litigation– Our health care litigation practice involves representing physician-owned entities, pharmacies, hospitals, treatment clinics, testing laboratories, durable medical equipment (DME) companies, and other clients in private litigation as well as civil enforcement proceedings involving allegations of Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and Department of Labor (DOL) fraud. We have extensive experience in health care-related litigation and rely on our attorneys’ deep knowledge of the industry to hit the ground running.
- Privacy & Hacking Litigation– Our privacy and hacking litigation practice involves representing clients in disputes involving the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), the Stored Communications Act (SCA), and other statutes. From health care to financial services, we serve clients in a broad range of industries.
- Securities Litigation– We have significant experience in civil litigation involving allegations of securities fraud and other federal securities law violations. We represent brokers, investment advisors, advisory firms, corporations, and corporate executives and board members in defense of litigation involving individual and institutional investors and the SEC.
- Emergency & Media Litigation– If your company is facing significant financial exposure or is at risk for having its public reputation ruined by the media, our emergency response team can step in and take all legal action required to mitigate the consequences of your present circumstances. We routinely work with clients in crisis scenarios, and we can use our experience to protect your company.
- Trial Litigation – While most cases settle, sometimes, it will be in a company’s or individual plaintiff’s or defendant’s interests to go to trial. If it is advisable to take your case to trial, the senior attorneys on our civil litigation team will do everything necessary to advance your interests in court.
- Appellate Litigation – In addition to our trial litigation practice, we also represent clients on appeal. If you received an unfavorable verdict at the trial level, our appellate lawyers can quickly assess whether you have grounds to challenge the outcome on appeal.
Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQs): Civil Litigation in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
Q: When should a company consider legal action against a competitor or former employee?
There are a number of circumstances under which it can be advisable for a company to take legal action against a competitor or former employee, whether that means starting with a cease-and-desist letter or seeking immediate injunctive relief in federal district court. In many cases, prompt action will be necessary to mitigate a company’s risk of loss, and our attorneys can help you quickly assess whether some form of legal action is warranted. This includes the potential for legal action based upon:
- Breach of contract
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Breach of implied warranty
- Defamation (libel or slander)
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Intellectual property infringement
- Statutory violations
- Tortious interference
- Other tort-based claims
For some additional considerations, we encourage you to read: When is it Time to Litigate? 10 Common Causes of Action in Business Litigation.
Q: When should I consider settling versus taking my claims (or defenses) to trial?
The decision to settle must be made based upon a comprehensive assessment of the strength of the claims in the litigation, the available evidence, the amount at stake, and various other business and legal factors. While it will often be in a company’s interests to attempt to settle quickly, in other cases it may take time to develop the evidence and leverage needed to force a favorable settlement.
Q: Does your firm handle cases in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana?
Yes. Our firm has a nationwide presence, and we have attorneys who are licensed to practice in various federal jurisdictions across the country, including the Eastern District of Louisiana. If you are facing the prospect of federal civil litigation in New Orleans, we can fully handle all aspects of your case, and our attorneys can be on the ground in New Orleans as necessary.
Q: Who will handle my case at Oberheiden, P.C.?
At Oberheiden, P.C., all cases are handled by our team of senior litigation attorneys. We do not employ junior associates or paralegals, and we do not assign cases to individual lawyers. This ensures that we are able to provide comprehensive representation by the most efficient means possible, and that all clients benefit from our attorneys’ collective knowledge and experience.
Speak with a Civil Litigation Attorney at Oberheiden, P.C.
To speak with a member of our civil litigation team about your case, please call 888-519-4897 or contact us online. We are available 24/7, and once you engage our firm we can deploy attorneys to your location in New Orleans immediately.