New Orleans Federal Criminal Defense
Aggressive Attorneys for Federal Investigations and Prosecutions in New Orleans
If you are being targeted in a federal investigation, if you have been served with a grand jury subpoena, if you have received an indictment, or if you are awaiting trial on federal charges, one thing about your situation is the same: you need a defense team with extensive experience in federal matters.
Federal and state cases are very different, and if you choose a criminal defense lawyer who lacks experience negotiating with federal prosecutors or appearing in federal court, you are putting yourself at a distinct disadvantage. Federal prosecutors routinely handle complex criminal cases; so by the time you find out that you are under investigation or being charged, you are already behind in terms of keeping pace with the government attorneys handling your case.
Your Defense Team for Complex Federal Criminal Matters
At Oberheiden, P.C., we put experience on your side. Your defense team at Oberheiden, P.C. will include veteran defense lawyers and former U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) attorneys who have handled thousands of federal investigations and prosecutions. We can anticipate what to expect in your case because we have been there many times before. We are intimately familiar with the federal laws and court rules that are critical to mounting a successful defense in federal criminal matters.
As both federal prosecutors and federal defense attorneys, we have handled cases involving all major federal law enforcement agencies. If you are facing an investigation in New Orleans involving the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), an Office of Inspector General (OIG), or if you have been indicted or charged by the DOJ – our experience will translate directly to your present circumstances. We can take immediate action to prevent unnecessary consequences in your case, and we will execute an aggressive defense strategy focused on resolving your case in your favor prior to trial.
If it is too late to avoid trial, you can feel confident knowing that the attorneys on your defense team at Oberheiden, P.C. have handled well over 500 federal criminal trials. While we want to avoid trial if we can (because avoiding the uncertainty and cost of trial will generally be in your best interests), we are litigators who have a significant record in federal criminal court. We have experience in federal cases involving:
- Bank robbery
- Criminal conspiracy
- Distribution, possession with intent to distribute, and conspiracy to distribute controlled substances
- Firearm offenses
- Health care fraud
- Internet and computer crimes
- Mail and wire fraud
- Mortgage fraud
- Public corruption
- Securities fraud (including Ponzi schemes and insider trading)
- Tax fraud and tax evasion
Senior New Orleans Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers with Proven Experience in Federal Court
When you choose Oberheiden, P.C., your entire defense team will consist of senior attorneys with extensive experience in federal criminal matters. We do not expect our clients to put their trust in junior lawyers or associates who lack the legal and real-world experience needed to convince seasoned prosecutors that they don’t have a case. With legions of attorneys focused on federal criminal prosecution and with virtually unlimited resources, the DOJ and other federal agencies have the upper hand – unless you turn the tables in your favor.
At Oberheiden, P.C., we do exactly that. Our lawyers have over 70 years of combined experience working for the DOJ, and we even helped craft some of the prosecution strategies that government attorneys use. We understand the government’s tendencies. We understand its tactics. We understand its shortcomings. We understand what it takes to get results for our clients, and we have the passion and drive needed to make sure our clients realize the outcomes they deserve.
Key Defense Strategies in Federal Investigations and Prosecutions
While each case is different, our experience has shown that certain defense strategies – when tailored to each client’s unique circumstances – will consistently produce positive outcomes in federal criminal matters. Our comprehensive approach to legal representation in federal criminal investigations and prosecutions includes the following:
- Avoiding (Rather than Fighting) Charges. Whenever possible, we seek to resolve our clients’ cases at the investigative stage, before charges are filed. The potential to avoid charges entirely is the primary reason why we urge all targets of federal investigations to seek experienced legal representation as soon as possible. We routinely help our clients avoid being charged. But when it becomes clear that a case is going to proceed past investigation, we focus on keeping our clients’ cases civil in nature so that they do not risk criminal penalties.
- Securing Bond. If you are able to secure bond in a federal criminal case, this means that there are very real questions about the government’s evidence against you. We have close to a 100% success rate in securing bond for our clients in federal matters.
- Having Charges Dismissed Prior to Trial. While it may seem unlikely, once you have been charged it is still possible to have your charges dismissed prior to trial. With our aggressive and exhaustive approach, we have been successful in resolving many of our clients’ cases without needing to present a defense in court.
- Using All Available Defenses. From challenging the government’s proof of intent (a key element in federal criminal cases) to asserting safe harbors and other affirmative defenses, we use our extensive experience to explore and strategically use all of the defenses that are available to protect our clients.
- Savvy Trial Representation. Not all criminal defense lawyers are trial lawyers. We are. We have represented hundreds of clients in jury and bench trials, and we relish the opportunity to present our client’s side of the story in open court. If a favorable pre-trial resolution is not in the cards, we will meticulously prepare to present a strategic defense at trial.
FAQs: Defending Against Federal Investigations and Charges in New Orleans, LA
Q: Do I need to hire a lawyer if I have not been formally charged?
Yes. If you are the target of a federal investigation, the best possible outcome is to resolve your case without charges being filed. Our defense team can intervene in your investigation and present convincing arguments for dropping your case.
Q: What is my potential exposure in a federal criminal case?
Your potential exposure depends on the specific allegations against you, and the scope of any possible charges. However, most federal criminal statutes include provisions for substantial penalties, and you could easily be facing insurmountable financial liability in addition to long incarceration.
Q: How likely is it that I will be able to avoid trial?
Once again, the answer depends on the unique circumstances of your case. While past experience does not guarantee future results, when clients have contacted us during their investigations, the majority of our matters have ended with no criminal charges being filed.
Schedule a Free and Confidential Case Assessment With Trusted New Orleans Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
For legal advice specific to your situation in New Orleans, we encourage you to contact us promptly to arrange a free and confidential case assessment. Our attorneys are available seven days a week, and we will make arrangements to meet with you as soon as possible.
Compliance – Litigation – Defense