Oakland Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
Respected Oakland Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
Defending against federal criminal charges requires diligence, determination, and in-depth knowledge of the laws that apply. At Oberheiden, P.C., our bring decades of experience and an extensive track record to defending individual and corporate clients in Oakland, CA.
If you are under investigation or indictment for a federal crime, the next few months could chart the course for the rest of your life. Federal crimes carry substantial fines and terms of imprisonment. And if you are charged with multiple counts of multiple offenses (as is often the case), a conviction could impact the rest of your life. For health care providers, add in the fact that a conviction can also mean loss of Medicare eligibility and license suspension or revocation, and you can see that you really have no choice but to do everything possible to preserve your future.
Fraud. Corruption. Conspiracy. Money laundering. For most people, these are story lines from Hollywood. But, for physicians, pharmacists, CEOs, board members, and other individuals targeted in federal investigations, these are real-life risks in Oakland. Federal agents and lawyers from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and other agencies are aggressively targeting health care providers and other businesses and professionals for prosecution, and targets who fail to defend themselves are quickly learning just how dangerous a federal investigation can be.
Federal Defense Lawyers with Decades of Experience Serving Oakland, CA
If you are under investigation or facing federal criminal charges, our Oakland federal criminal defense lawyers can help. Our firm is comprised exclusively of senior attorneys with extensive experience in federal criminal matters, and we have handled thousands of federal cases across California and nationwide. Our Federal criminal defense lawyers are familiar with the investigatory practices and prosecution tactics of the FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA, and we have successfully represented numerous clients in federal criminal litigation involving United States Attorneys from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). Our track record speaks for itself, and our proven Oakland federal criminal defense lawyers are happy to help you understand what is at stake in your federal case in a free, no-obligation and completely confidential case assessment.
Highly-Experienced Defense Counsel for FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA Matters
Defending yourself against the federal government starts with choosing the right legal team to represent you. With our former DOJ prosecutors and nationally recognized defense attorneys who have handled more than 1,000 federal investigations and 500 criminal trials, Oberheiden, P.C., is the go-to choice for health care providers and other individuals and businesses across the country. We offer:
- Experience in Federal Investigations – Most of our clients contact us during the investigative process. If you are currently under investigation by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA, our skilled Oakland federal criminal defense lawyers can act quickly to intervene in the investigation and fight to protect you from criminal charges.
- Experience in Pretrial Federal Litigation – If you are preparing to go before a grand jury or you have already been indicted on federal charges, this does not mean that going to trial is a foregone conclusion. We will strategically pursue a favorable plea deal, and we may even be able to get your charges dismissed prior to trial.
- Experience in Federal District Court – If going to trial is your best option, our seasoned criminal defense trial lawyers will be fully prepared to defend you in federal district court. We have represented clients in high-stakes trials in federal district courts around the country, and our respected Oakland federal criminal defense lawyers can represent you in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- Savvy, Straightforward Legal Advice – We will not waste your time with legalese and theoretical possibilities. Instead, we will tell you what you need to know in order to protect yourself, and we will help you stay on course to mitigate the consequences of your investigation or indictment to the greatest extent possible.
- Case Strategies Focused on Quick Resolutions – While our Oakland federal criminal defense lawyers are experienced litigators, we will not take your case to trial unless it is absolutely necessary. Our goal in every case is to secure a favorable outcome as quickly and discreetly as possible. Usually, this means avoiding charges during the government’s investigation.
We Handle All Types of Federal Criminal Cases in Oakland, CA
With our experience on both sides of federal investigations and prosecutions, we are able to skillfully and proficiently handle cases involving allegations of all types of federal crimes in Oakland. Contact our proven and winning Oakland federal criminal defense lawyers today for a free and confidential assessment of your federal case involving allegations of:
- Health Care Fraud (including Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and private insurance fraud)
- Manufacture, distribution, sale, or diversion of controlled substances (including prescription drugs)
- Bank Fraud, Insurance Fraud, and Securities Fraud
- Mail Fraud and Wire Fraud
- Tax Fraud
- Theft, Counterfeiting, and Embezzlement
- Money Laundering
- Public Corruption and Bribery
- Internet and Computer Crimes
- Conspiracy and Attempt
- Other White-Collar Crimes
What Do You Need to Know If You Are Being Investigated by the…
…Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigates a broad range of drug-related and white-collar criminal offenses, including computer and internet crimes, public corruption, and corporate and health care fraud. The Special Agents who handle large-scale and high-profile investigations often have decades of experience in the field.
…Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) investigates and prosecutes cases involving allegations of Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse. The OIG often works in tandem with the FBI, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and other agencies to pursue health care providers suspected of overbilling the government.
…Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
The criminal enforcement division of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) handles cases involving violations of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), including underreporting and underpayment of federal income tax. Frequently, federal prosecutors will pursue charges for tax fraud along with charges for money laundering, health care fraud, prescription drug diversion, bribery, and other substantive offenses.
…Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) handles cases involving violations of the Controlled Substances Act, including cases of alleged prescription drug diversion. The DEA also routinely audits and investigates registered health care providers in the absence of specific criminal allegations.
Answers to 5 Common Questions about Federal Criminal Investigations
Q: Why am I under investigation by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA?
There are a few primary reasons why federal agencies such as the FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA launch federal investigations: (i) tips from confidential informants, (ii) qui tam claims filed by “whistleblowers,” (iii) audit or data analysis results that suggest possible criminal activity, and (iv) routine investigations of organizations (such as health care providers) that are subject to government oversight. When Oakland federal criminal defense attorneys represent you, one of our first steps will be to determine what triggered your investigation as this can help inform the best strategy for your defense.
Q: How often do federal investigations result in criminal charges?
Whether a federal investigation ultimately results in criminal charges depends upon a multitude of factors. What accusations are under investigation? Which agency (or agencies) are involved? How strong is the government’s evidence? What defenses does the target of the investigation have available? Has the target hired federal defense counsel? These are all factors that will impact the likelihood of the target of the government’s investigation facing formal charges.
Q: Can I do anything to prevent the U.S. Attorney’s Office from prosecuting me?
Yes, absolutely. As the target of a federal criminal investigation, taking certain steps and avoiding critical mistakes can significantly reduce your risk of prosecution. This starts with hiring experienced defense counsel. Our Oakland federal criminal defense attorneys can advise you based upon the unique circumstances of your case and make contact with the investigating agency(ies) immediately so that you no longer have to answer agents’ questions directly.
Q: What are some possible defenses to criminal charges in federal district court?
The defenses you have available will depend on the specific allegations against you, the occurrences to date in your federal case, and the current stature of the government’s investigation or prosecution. While every case is unique, some of the most-common defenses in federal criminal cases include:
- Unlawful search or seizure
- Failure to read your Miranda rights prior to interrogation
- Denying access to legal counsel
- Lack of criminal intent
- Lack of evidence to prove all elements of the crime(s) alleged
- Affirmative defenses (e.g., “safe harbor” protection under the Anti-Kickback Statute)
- Alibi or misidentification
- Entrapment or duress
Q: What are the penalties for federal crimes?
Once again, it depends. However, since most federal crimes are considered felony-level offenses, and since agencies such as the FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA focus their efforts on cases involving substantial allegations of criminal conduct, individuals targeted in federal investigations will often be at risk for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in fines and years or decades behind bars.
Contact the Oakland Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers at Oberheiden, P.C.
If you are being targeted by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA in Oakland, it is important that you engage defense counsel immediately. To schedule a free and confidential case assessment with the Oakland federal criminal defense attorneys at Oberheiden, P.C., please call (888) 519-4897 or tell us how to reach you online now.