Pensacola Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
Pensacola may sit at the westernmost point of Florida’s long panhandle, but the businesses and high-level professionals working there are hardly removed from the federal government’s watchful eye. In fact, this decade has seen a number of high-stakes criminal cases brought against people in Pensacola and the surrounding area. Many of these have stemmed from investigations into white-collar crime by agencies such as the OIG, IRS, DEA, and FBI. If you are currently involved in a federal investigation in any capacity – and especially if you have been named as a target, suspect, or if an arrest has already been made – you need to take immediate steps to protect your legal interests, your future, and your freedom.
Oberheiden, P.C., can help. We are a federal criminal defense law firm with a national presence, and our Pensacola federal criminal defense lawyers have a robust record of results. Our firm offers 100+ years of combined experience in federal law (including several attorneys who used to work as prosecutors for the U.S. government before joining our private defense practice). We provide comprehensive federal defense services to businesses and individuals in Pensacola.
While we have an extremely strong track record in courtroom trials, our work is focused on an even better outcome: avoiding criminal charges in the first place. Alternatively, if our client hires us after charges have already been filed, our goal is to get those charges dropped before a trial.
In the overwhelming majority of cases, we’ve achieved those goals. Our skilled Pensacola federal criminal defense lawyers fight strategically and aggressively to protect our clients, their reputations, their businesses, their freedom, and their futures.
Are You Being Investigated by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA in Pensacola?
If so, it is critical that you come to fully appreciate the gravity of this situation, right away. There is no such thing as a minor or low-stakes federal investigation. Federal agents are specially trained to find evidence and use it against you.
If they can put you in federal prison, they will.
If they can fine you millions of dollars and then publicly proclaim that victory “on behalf of the taxpayers,” they will.
If they can crush your business for the sake of looking “tough on crime, fraud, waste, and abuse,” they will.
Everything you do from this point forward matters. The best thing you can do is hire a strong legal defense team. Choosing the right firm can make all the difference. The Pensacola federal criminal defense lawyers at Oberheiden, P.C.:
- We fight to Avoid Charges in Every Investigation. No matter how scary your situation looks, if the government hasn’t acted by filing charges yet, it is still possible to avoid prosecution. We have resolved the overwhelming majority of our clients’ cases without charges ever being filed. Avoiding charges is always the best outcome, and it is always our goal.
- We Focus on the Unique Aspects of Each Individual Case. At the beginning of any legal crisis, we focus on getting to the heart of the situation. It’s essential that we understand every element of the case as well as every fact that might be of interest to the government. Our highly experienced Pensacola federal criminal defense lawyers ask the right questions from day one, always with an eye out for the small details that can make a decisive difference.
- We Rely on Extensive Federal Experience to Execute Strong Defense Strategies. Criminal defense hinges on insight and strategy. Oberheiden, P.C., offers the benefit of insight from both sides of FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA investigations. Because we have refined our approach over many years of experience, we believe we can level the playing field for our clients and pursue the strategies that have the highest likelihood of achieving a favorable outcome.
- We Help Our Clients Make Confident and Informed Decisions. If you are being targeted by the FBI, DEA, IRS, OIG, or another federal agency in Pensacola, you’ll probably find yourself asking questions you never thought of before. Things like: “How should I prepare my employees for the possibility of a federal raid?”; “What if I know of evidence that could incriminate me?”; “What should I be doing (or not doing) right now to protect my interests during a pending investigation?” Federal criminal cases are terrifying for those targeted. Even if you’re just a witness, you need protective guidance and strong advice. Our knowledgeable Pensacola federal criminal defense lawyers are here to answer your questions with shrewd and thoughtful answers, confidentially, and with your best interests in sight.
- We Never Give In. We are not a “cross your fingers” law firm. Our philosophy for criminal defense is an aggressive one. We put a foot on the pedal and press down hard, refusing to ease off the gas until our clients are cleared. We will do everything we can to reach a favorable outcome instead of a “quick compromise” that would represent far less than you deserve.
Federal Defense Lawyers for All Criminal Matters in Pensacola
The government is extremely powerful and relentless. Federal agents assigned to investigate criminal matters have only one job, which is to search for evidence that can be referred for prosecution.
People and businesses who are targeted by the government deserve to have someone looking out for them: a team that can be just as aggressive as the government, developing tailored strategies and giving smart, proactive advice at every turn.
No matter what criminal matter you may be facing in Pensacola, whether it is a high-stakes, white-collar criminal matter, a drug bust or diversion investigation, a deeply embarrassing accusation of sexual or violent crime, a suspected internet crime, or any other matter, the Pensacola federal criminal defense lawyers at Oberheiden, P.C., are here to help. This includes:
- Medicare & Medicaid fraud
- Insurance fraud
- Other forms of health care fraud
- Drug trafficking or possession
- Drug diversion
- Other violations of the Controlled Substances Act
- Mail, wire, bank, or credit card fraud
- Conspiracy or Attempt at the federal level
- Counterfeiting / Embezzlement / Money laundering / Theft
- Stockbroker fraud / Financial advisor fraud
- Tax violations
- Public Corruption
- Sex crimes
- Internet crimes
- Violent crimes
Why Am I Being Targeted by the…
…Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
The FBI serves as the country’s chief law enforcement agency. Most FBI investigations pertain to one of the following criminal matters: computer crimes, internet crimes, terrorism, public corruption, bribery, organized crime, federal conspiracies, and drug crimes. However, the FBI is often involved in investigations led by other agencies as well.
…Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
The OIG serves as the law enforcement arm of the national Department of Health & Human Services (HHS). Most HHS – OIG investigations pertain to allegations of health care fraud targeting a federal benefits program, such as those operated by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
…Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
The IRS serves as the nation’s tax collection agency and as its primary law enforcement agency for tax-related crimes. Most IRS investigations pertain to a criminal violation of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). Many of these matters involve a suspicion of intentional tax fraud. However, the IRS assists other federal agencies in matters that might involve tax filings or IRC violations (money laundering, for instance).
…Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
The DEA was created to enforce the law on controlled substances in the United States, including not only illegal drugs, but also prescription medications. Accordingly, DEA investigations may be aimed at health care providers suspected of drug diversion, at high-level professionals suspected of possessing a large quantity of illegal drugs or playing some small role in a drug conspiracy, or at drug dealers accused of peddling illegal street substances.
Q&A with an Experienced Federal Criminal Defense Attorney at Oberheiden, P.C.
Q: What are the penalties for federal crimes?
A: Federal crimes almost always carry significant penalties, but the scope of those penalties can vary dramatically. On one end of the spectrum, conviction might mean a sentence of several years in prison and/or a few thousand dollars in fines. On the other end of the spectrum, it might mean decades of imprisonment and/or millions of dollars in fines. What often surprises people is the fact that many white-collar crimes sit at the more extreme end of that spectrum, with incredibly harsh, life-ruining penalties on the table. Many people also do not understand that business organizations can be prosecuted for a crime, too, and those fines can be impossible to recover from. The potential penalties in your particular case will depend on the charges being evaluated. This is something our Pensacola federal criminal defense lawyers work on determining right away, as soon as we are hired to intervene in an investigation.
Q: Does the federal government negotiate plea bargains?
A: Yes. If, for some reason, we are not able to avoid charges in your case (or if you have already been formally charged with a crime), negotiating a plea bargain might represent your best available option. I encourage people, however, not to rush into a plea bargain. Don’t think of a plea as being your first or best option until you’ve talked to an experienced federal criminal defense lawyer about other options. This is a mistake too many defendants (and even some defense lawyers) make. At Oberheiden, P.C., our team has convinced prosecutors to drop charges in many cases. Never resign yourself to a plea bargain until you have fully explored all your options with an attorney who has real, veteran experience in negotiating these matters with federal agencies like the FBI, DEA, IRS, OIG, and so on.
Q: Can your firm represent me in Pensacola, FL?
A: Yes. We maintain a national presence and our attorneys are able to represent clients nationwide. We have represented clients in 21 states and counting, including Florida. We can conduct an initial case review over the phone. After that, our criminal defense attorneys are available to travel to Pensacola (or anywhere else in Northwest Florida) on a moment’s notice.
Speak with our Pensacola Federal Defense Attorneys about Your FBI, IRS, DEA, or OIG Investigation
Oberheiden, P.C.’s federal defense team has significant experience in high-stakes federal investigations. If your business, practice, or reputation is at risk, our proven Pensacola federal criminal defense attorneys can use our experience on both sides of FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA investigations to develop a narrowly tailored strategy. Our one and only goal is protecting you. That means keeping you in business, out of prison, and away from the financial destruction that a federal criminal conviction could bring.
For more information and legal advice relevant to the specifics of your investigation in Pensacola, please set up a free and confidential case assessment with our office, right away. Simply call our responsive Pensacola federal criminal defense attorneys at (888) 519-4897 or tell us how we can help online now.