Richmond Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
Richmond Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
Federal agents and prosecutors are targeting health care providers and other businesses in Richmond, VA, for criminal prosecution. If you are facing allegations of fraud, diversion, embezzlement, money laundering, tax evasion, or any other federal offense, Oberheiden, P.C.’s defense team can protect you. Call (888) 519-4897 now.
Richmond is growing into a business and technology hub on the East Coast. And with its central location between Washington, D.C. and Newport News, it is prime real estate for health care practitioners, business owners, and entrepreneurs. With easy access to major seaports, airports, and the I-95 corridor, Richmond offers everything you could want to start or grow a bustling business enterprise.
However, these key features also put Richmond squarely within the federal government’s crosshairs. While Richmond offers everything you need to sustain a legitimate health care business or practice, it also offers what many illegitimate business operations look for as well. This, combined with the fact that federal agencies such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) are aggressively targeting health care providers and other companies in the health care industry in general, means that licensed practitioners, executives, board members, and other individuals are at high risk for facing federal investigation and prosecution.
At Oberheiden, P.C., we turn the tables in our clients’ favor. We are a team of highly experienced Richmond federal criminal defense lawyers who have proven records in federal health care investigations and criminal trials. Our team is led by Dr. Nick Oberheiden, a highly regarded defense attorney who has represented clients and appeared on media outlets across the country, and includes several former federal prosecutors who served long tenures with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). Having represented clients in more than 1,000 federal investigations and 500 criminal trials, we know what it takes to take on the government. And we are able to use our experience to defend clients during the investigative process so that their businesses, finances, and reputations stay intact.
Have you been contacted by federal agents or received a subpoena in Richmond, VA? Call the Richmond federal criminal defense lawyers now at Oberheiden, P.C. (888) 519-4897 for a free and confidential consultation.
Federal Criminal Defense Law Firm with a National Presence Serving Richmond, VA
Our firm represents clients in FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA investigations on a nationwide scale. We are able to deploy quickly to wherever our clients need us, and we offer an Emergency Defense Package which allows our clients to start taking steps to protect themselves immediately. From intervening in federal investigations to aggressively disputing federal prosecutors’ allegations at trial, our handle all aspects of federal criminal matters with experience, strategic vision, and an unwavering commitment to success.
When you engage the services of the Richmond federal criminal defense lawyers at Oberheiden, P.C.:
- We Will Make Arrangements to Speak with You Immediately – In federal criminal matters, it is crucial to begin building a defense strategy as soon as possible. When you contact us, we will make arrangements for you to speak with a member of our federal criminal defense team immediately and arm you with the information you need to feel confident moving forward.
- We Will Step in to Disrupt the Government’s Investigation or Prosecution – Unchecked, federal agents and prosecutors will find the evidence they need to secure a conviction in most cases. Early intervention is a key component of our defense strategy. And as soon as you retain our firm, our Richmond federal criminal defense lawyers will let it be known that you have secured experienced legal representation.
- We Will Work Relentlessly to Secure a Favorable Pretrial Outcome – If at all possible, we want to resolve your case before federal prosecutors file criminal charges. If charges have already been filed, we still want to protect you from the inherent publicity and uncertainty of going to trial. Our Richmond federal criminal defense attorneys utilize pretrial strategies that have proven to be effective time and again, and we never give up on the possibility of having our clients’ cases dropped entirely.
- We Will Let the Prosecutor’s Office Know That We Are Confident about Our Trial Strategy – Part of the strategy for avoiding trial involves letting the prosecutor’s office know that you are fully prepared to litigate your defenses in court, if necessary. With our attorneys’ extensive trial records, we are well known for our courtroom representation and we can use this to your advantage.
- We Will Help You Make Smart Decisions While We Fight to Protect Your Future – Even the quickest pretrial resolutions take time. While your investigation or charges are pending, you need to make smart decisions that avoid unnecessary disclosures and potential exposure to additional liability. Our Richmond federal criminal defense lawyers will tell you exactly what you need to know so that you can protect yourself while we fight to preserve your future.
Attorneys Experienced in All Federal Drug and White-Collar Criminal Matters
Our experience includes representing health care providers, business owners, and other clients in investigations and prosecutions involving virtually all federal drug crimes and white-collar crimes. Our Richmond federal criminal defense lawyers are comprised entirely of senior attorneys. And with our team approach, all clients receive the full benefit of our team’s extensive experience. We represent clients accused of federal crimes including:
- Health Care Fraud (including Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare fraud)
- Federal Drug Charges (including Prescription Drug Charges)
- Tax Evasion and Other Tax Violations
- Bank Fraud, Insurance Fraud, and Securities Fraud
- Mail Fraud and Wire Fraud
- Theft, Counterfeiting, and Embezzlement
- Money Laundering
- Public Corruption and Bribery
- Internet and Computer Crimes
- Conspiracy and Attempt
- Other White-Collar Crimes
Why Is Your Health Care Practice or Business Being Targeted By…
…The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) handles federal criminal investigations involving a broad range of offenses, from financial fraud crimes to organized crime and terrorism. If you are facing an FBI investigation, you will need to determine the specific allegations against you (which is not necessarily as easy as it sounds) in order to develop and execute an effective defense strategy.
…The Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) investigates allegations of fraud and abuse targeting Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and other federal health care benefit programs. The OIG has broad authority to target health care providers and other businesses in the health care industry under laws including the False Claims Act and the Anti-Kickback Statute.
…The Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
While most people think of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as the federal agency that collects tax revenue on behalf of the government, the IRS also has an aggressive criminal enforcement division that targets individuals and businesses suspected of underreporting and underpaying their federal income tax obligations. The IRS routinely gets involved in investigations involving health care fraud and other fraud-related offenses.
…The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
Outside of the context of prosecuting drug smugglers and syndicates, one of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA) primary roles is to enforce the nation’s drug laws against health care providers. Health care providers that prescribe and dispense controlled-substance medications are subject to DEA registration, and the DEA aggressively targets providers suspected of engaging in illegal prescription drug diversion.
Facing Federal Criminal Charges in Richmond, VA: Answers to FAQs
Q: How can I figure out what the federal government thinks I did wrong?
As we mentioned earlier, it can be surprisingly difficult to figure out why you are in the federal government’s crosshairs. When our Richmond federal criminal defense lawyers represent clients, one of our first priorities is to discern the nature and scope of the government’s investigation. We use our experience in federal criminal investigations to decipher the government’s words and actions and piece together the information we need to defend our clients effectively.
Q: How long will it take for this to be over?
It depends. While it is often possible to resolve misguided allegations fairly quickly, if federal prosecutors are convinced that you have committed a crime, it may take longer to secure a favorable outcome. We seek to resolve all of our clients’ cases as quickly and discreetly as possible, and our Richmond federal criminal defense attorneys develop custom-tailored defense strategies that address the unique circumstances of each individual case.
Q: Do I need to hire a federal criminal defense lawyer?
Yes, with the potential for crippling fines, federal prison time, and other penalties that could destroy your business or practice, you need to take the government’s investigation extremely seriously. This means engaging experienced defense counsel to challenge the government’s investigative and prosecutorial practices and working closely with your attorneys to secure the best outcome possible.
Schedule a Free and Confidential Case Assessment at Oberheiden, P.C.
For legal advice custom-tailored to the facts and circumstances of your federal criminal investigation in Richmond, contact our law offices to schedule a free and confidential case assessment. Call (888) 519-4897 to speak with a member of our Richmond federal criminal defense attorneys, or tell us how to reach you and we will be in touch as soon as possible.