Riverside Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
Winning Riverside Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
Located east of Los Angeles in Southern California, Riverside is a key location in the federal government’s fight against health care fraud, prescription drug diversion, tax evasion, and other white-collar crimes. If you are being targeted in an FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA investigation in Riverside, it is imperative that you contact our Riverside federal criminal defense lawyers immediately.
If you are being targeted in a federal investigation in Riverside, hiring experienced legal counsel needs to be your first priority. Federal agents and prosecutors are working hard to build a case against you. And if you fail to defend yourself, there is a very good chance that you find yourself suddenly fighting to protect your freedom at trial.
If this sounds extreme, it isn’t. Every day, federal prosecutors file charges against physicians, pharmacists, executives, board members, and other individuals for serious federal crimes that carry crippling financial penalties and years or decades of imprisonment. In fact, in most cases, federal prosecutors will file charges for multiple counts of multiple crimes; in the aggregate, the penalties that are on the table can amount to an effective life sentence.
Riverside Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers with an Established Track Record
At Oberheiden, P.C., our Riverside federal criminal defense lawyers provide comprehensive and aggressive defense representation for individual and corporate clients facing federal criminal investigations in California. We know what is at stake, but we also know that the outcome of your case is not predetermined. You have defenses available, and when asserted effectively, these defenses can protect you against a conviction – and possibly even protect you against charges being filed.
In fact, in most of the federal cases we have handled, we have been successful in protecting our clients against prosecution. This means that we have resolved their investigations prior to indictment. With our aggressive approach that never forecloses the possibility of a pre-indictment or pretrial resolution, we have established a long track record of success and we have become well known as trusted advocates for targets of federal criminal investigations nationwide.
Why Clients in Riverside, CA and Nationwide Trust Our Federal Criminal Defense Team
Why do clients in Riverside, CA, and nationwide trust our federal criminal defense team when their future is on the line? Our Riverside federal criminal defense lawyers take pride in knowing that clients choose us as a result of our:
- Exclusive Focus on Federal Criminal Defense – Unlike other firms that focus equally on state and federal defense (or that focus primarily on representing clients charged with state-level offenses), our practice is largely devoted to representing clients in high-stakes federal matters. We focus exclusively on federal practice with particular emphasis on representing clients in white collar and drug related matters.
- In-Depth Knowledge of Federal Criminal Law and Procedure – As a result of our federal focus and our attorneys’ decades of collective experience on both sides of federal investigations and prosecutions, our Riverside federal criminal defense lawyers have an extensive body of knowledge regarding defense of federal charges. This includes fending off charges during federal investigations and seeking dismissal of charges in U.S. District Court.
- Senior-Level Experience across the Board – Also unlike other firms, we do not assign junior associates or paralegals to handle the bulk of the workload on our clients’ cases. In fact, we do not have any junior associates or paralegals on our staff. We utilize our attorneys’ senior-level experience across the board to ensure that we are pursuing an effective and well-informed case strategy every step of the way.
- Unique Team Approach – In every case we handle, our senior attorneys work together and pool their collective knowledge and insights for our client’s benefit. When your future is on the line, you deserve to know that your Riverside federal criminal defense lawyers are exploring all possibilities and pursuing every opportunity to bring your case to a quiet and favorable resolution.
- Unwavering Commitment to Our Clients’ Success – If we do not do our job successfully, it is our clients who suffer the consequences. As a result, failure is simply not an option. We fight relentlessly to make sure our clients achieve a favorable outcome in light of the circumstances at hand.
Experienced and Strategic Defense Representation for Serious Federal Criminal Allegations
Our Riverside federal criminal defense lawyers include representing business owners, executives, licensed professionals, and other individuals and organizations in investigations, grand jury proceedings, pretrial practice, trials, and appeals. We have extensive experience representing clients in California and across the country accused of:
- Health Care Fraud
- Federal Drug Charges
- Tax Violations
- Bank Fraud, Insurance Fraud, and Securities Fraud
- Mail Fraud and Wire Fraud
- Theft, Counterfeiting, and Embezzlement
- Money Laundering
- Public Corruption and Bribery
- Internet and Computer Crimes
- Conspiracy and Attempt
- Other White-Collar Crimes
What Do You Need to Know If You Are Being Investigated by the…
…Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
Contrary to what you see in the movies and on television, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) does not focus exclusively on taking down mob bosses and art thieves. In fact, the FBI’s jurisdiction is extremely broad, covering offenses ranging from conspiracy and corporate fraud to internet crimes and theft of intellectual property.
…Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
As the law enforcement division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), the Office of Inspector General (OIG) is tasked primarily with pursuing health care providers and Medicare and Medicaid participants who overbill the government for services, supplies, and equipment. The OIG routinely investigates and seeks indictment of physicians, pharmacists, physician assistants, nurses, health care company executives, and other individuals under the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and other federal criminal laws.
…Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) gets involved any time a federal investigation reveals evidence of tax evasion or other criminal violations of the Internal Revenue Code. Criminal investigations are handled by the IRS’s criminal enforcement division, which often works in tandem with other investigating agencies.
…Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
Along with the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is perhaps the most well known federal law enforcement agency. However, its role is also among the most commonly misunderstood. While the DEA does target manufacturers and distributors of illegal drugs, it devotes a substantial portion of its resources to targeting health care providers in diversion and other prescription drug fraud investigations.
Q&A with Oberheiden, P.C.’s Federal Criminal Defense Team
Q: With all of the potential targets for federal investigations, why am I being singled out for criminal prosecution?
This is a fair question, and one that you absolutely deserve to have answered. While our skilled Riverside federal criminal defense lawyers will need to get involved in your case directly in order to determine what specifically triggered the government’s investigation into your business or practice, most federal criminal investigations are the result of one of five potential factors:
- A qui tam (or “whistleblower”) lawsuit,
- A tip from a confidential informant,
- An unfavorable determination following a tax or health care audit,
- Data that suggest an anomaly in your billing or prescription practices, or
- A random or routine investigation (e.g., a DEA investigation of a registered health care provider).
Q: What are the chances that I am actually guilty of a federal crime?
In short, it depends. While many individuals are utterly shocked to learn that they are being investigated by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA, many are equally surprised to learn that they may actually be exposed to criminal liability. When you engage our Riverside federal criminal defense lawyers, one of our immediate priorities will be to determine whether there is anything incriminating evidence for the government to find. If not, we can use this to affirmatively demonstrate that the investigation is misguided. If so, we can structure a defense strategy around the specific issue (or issues) at play.
Q: If I am guilty, should I negotiate a plea deal?
At this point, it is far too early to make any judgments about the best way to resolve your investigation. While negotiating a plea deal is an option, it is equally possible that (i) you are not guilty (even if you think you are), and (ii) you have grounds to fight the government’s charges and still terminate the investigation without being charged.
Q: When should I engage legal counsel?
If you are facing an FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA investigation, you need to engage legal counsel immediately. You do not want the investigation to go on unchecked any longer than absolutely necessary, and you need to avoid mistakes that could jeopardize your defense. When you contact Oberheiden, P.C., you will have the opportunity to speak directly with one of our senior Riverside federal criminal defense sttorneys, and we will arm you with the information you need to start making smart decisions about protecting your interests.
Call or Click for a Free and Confidential Case Assessment with Proven Riverside Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys
When you are in the federal government’s crosshairs, you do not have any time to waste. To speak with a member of our federal criminal defense team about your investigation in Riverside today, call (888) 519-4897 or tell us how to reach you online now. Our Riverside federal criminal defense attorneys can conduct your free initial case assessment over the phone, and we can arrange for you to meet with our defense lawyers at our office in Los Angeles or at your location in Riverside, CA.