Roanoke Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
Proven Roanoke Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
Health care providers and other businesses in the Roanoke, VA, area are being targeted in federal investigations involving allegations of fraud, drug diversion, and other serious federal offenses. If your professional practice or business is in jeopardy, call (888) 519-4897 to put Oberheiden, P.C.’s highly-experienced Roanoke federal criminal defense lawyers on your side.
When your health care business or practice is being targeted in a federal criminal investigation, every step matters. While continuing to engage in any unlawful activity could subject you to further prosecution and penalties, acknowledging that changes are necessary can trigger charges as well. In order to protect your business or practice, you need to take a strategic approach and you need to be prepared to anticipate and react to the government’s every move.
At Oberheiden, P.C., we help health care providers, business owners, executives, board members, and other professionals avoid federal criminal charges. We are a team of highly-experienced federal criminal defense attorneys who have represented clients in Roanoke, VA and across the country in more than 1,000 investigations and 500 criminal trials. We defend our clients aggressively using defense tactics that we have honed over decades of practice, and we provide personalized service that focuses on obtaining the optimal result for each and every client in light of the specific circumstances at hand.
Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys for FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA Matters in Roanoke, VA
Have you been contacted by federal agents in Roanoke, VA? The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) are currently targeting health care providers and other businesses in cities like Roanoke nationwide. While the government’s initial contact may seem innocent enough, these situations can quickly escalate into full-blown criminal investigations with insurmountable fines and decades of federal imprisonment on the table.
Whether you are under investigation or you have already been charged, you need to take steps to protect yourself. This starts with hiring an experienced federal criminal defense team. Our lawyers are available 24/7, and we can help you regardless of the current status of your case. At Oberheiden, P.C., we offer:
- Decades of Experience on Both Sides of Federal Criminal Investigations – Prior to entering private practice, many of our attorneys served as senior officials in the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). During this time, they prosecuted numerous high profile federal fraud cases involving agents and attorneys from FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA offices across the country.
- An Extensive Track Record of Successful Defense – Our experience shines through in our results. We have staved off criminal charges at every stage of the pretrial process, and we have helped numerous clients obtain acquittals at trial. In the vast majority of cases, we have terminated our clients’ investigations prior to charges being filed.
- A Unique Team Approach Involving Only Senior Attorneys – We take a unique team approach that keeps our clients’ costs down while affording each client the full benefit of our attorneys’ collective expertise. However, unlike other “litigation teams,” ours is not staffed with junior associates and paralegals. Every attorney working on your case will have substantial experience in federal criminal matters.
- Personal Attention and 24/7 Availability – We appreciate the opportunity to serve our clients, and we know what it is like to have your professional practice, your business, and even your personal freedom on the line. We provide personal attention and custom-tailored defense strategies, and we make ourselves available to our clients 24/7.
- Practical Solutions Focused on Real-World Results – Theoretical solutions may be interesting, but they don’t produce effective results. We execute practical defense strategies that are derived from our past experience in federal criminal matters, and we focus on achieving favorable resolutions that keep our clients’ businesses and practices open.
Roanoke, VA Federal Criminal Investigations: Experience You Need, Results You Can Trust
We represent licensed professionals, business owners, executives, board members, and other clients facing all federal allegations in Roanoke, VA. We have protected numerous high profile clients against federal charges, and we can use our experience to protect you to the greatest extent possible. Contact us today for a free and confidential assessment of your federal criminal investigation or prosecution involving allegations of:
- Bank Fraud, Insurance Fraud, or Securities Fraud
- Conspiracy or Attempt
- Federal Drug Charges (including Prescription Drug Charges)
- Health Care Fraud (including Medicare, Medicaid, or Tricare Fraud)
- Internet and Computer Crimes
- Mail Fraud or Wire Fraud
- Money Laundering
- Public Corruption and Bribery
- Tax Evasion or Other Federal Tax Violations
- Theft, Counterfeiting, or Embezzlement
- Other White-Collar Crimes
Highly-Experienced Legal Representation for Federal Criminal Cases in Roanoke
1. Federal Criminal Cases Involving the FBI
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is tasked with investigating allegations of terrorism, computer and internet crimes, public corruption, organized crime, drug-related offenses, and large-scale criminal conspiracies. It commonly gets involved in cases targeting health care providers, businesses serving the health care industry, and other companies.
2. Federal Criminal Cases Involving the OIG
The Office of Inspector General’s (OIG) role is to investigate and prosecute cases of health care fraud targeting Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal health care benefit programs. This includes cases involving allegations of coding fraud, double-billing, “phantom” billing, and billing for services that are not considered medically necessary under the applicable program billing guidelines.
3. Federal Criminal Cases Involving the IRS
The Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) criminal enforcement division focuses exclusively on cases involving tax evasion and other criminal violations of the Internal Revenue Code. However, many different types of federal white-collar allegations will trigger tax fraud allegations. And as a result, it is not unusual for practitioners and business owners to face investigations involving the IRS, FBI, OIG, and other agencies.
4. Federal Criminal Cases Involving the DEA
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) enforces the Controlled Substances Act and the nation’s other criminal drug laws. Its enforcement efforts include targeting illicit drug traffickers as well targeting legitimate health care providers who prescribe and dispense controlled substance medications. It also aggressively enforces the registration requirements for these health care providers.
Federal Criminal Defense FAQs: Avoiding Fines and Imprisonment in Roanoke, VA
Q: I have just been contacted by federal agents. What should I do?
If you have just been contacted by federal agents, you should seek legal representation immediately and you should not say anything or hand over any documents unless advised to do so by your defense team. No matter how formal or informal the request may have been, a federal investigation is under way and you need to be very careful to avoid exposing yourself to criminal prosecution.
Q: Are there mistakes I need to avoid?
Yes. During your free case assessment, one of the things our Roanoke federal criminal defense lawyers will do is walk you through all of the mistakes you need to make sure you (and your employees) avoid. At a high level, these include (but are not limited to):
- Destroying relevant documents
- Answering federal agents’ questions without legal representation
- Ignoring subpoenas or other formal government requests
- Assuming that federal agents are acting within their scope of authority
- Assuming that you are guilty of a federal offense
Q: If I am under investigation, what are the chances that I will be convicted of a federal crime?
It is difficult to say. In order to assess the likelihood of the various potential outcomes of your case, our Roanoke federal criminal defense lawyers will need to learn more about the government’s investigation – from you and from the federal agents and prosecutors involved. However, what we can say is that there is still a long way to go before you need to be worried about a possible conviction. In a typical case, there will be numerous opportunities to secure a favorable outcome prior to trial, and our attorneys will pursue all viable opportunities to protect you.
Q: Can the federal government revoke my license to practice?
Not directly, although the Drug Enforcement Administration can revoke your DEA registration. Since your license was issued by the licensing board in your state, it must be revoked by the licensing board as well. But, if the licensing board learns of your investigation (and you may have an obligation to report it), then you could be at risk for losing your license regardless of whether you are ultimately convicted of a federal crime at trial.
Q: What else do I need to know?
Facing a federal criminal investigation is a trying experience. You will face struggles, and you will face uncertainty. But, with the right defense strategy, you can get through it. And for legal advice that is custom-tailored to the facts of your case, we encourage you to contact our Roanoke federal criminal defense lawyers for a free case assessment.
Request a Free Case Assessment with our Roanoke Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys at Oberheiden, P.C.
To speak with our Roanoke federal criminal defense attorneys on our team about your case in Roanoke, please call (888) 519-4897 or contact us online. You can reach us 24/7, and we will schedule your free initial case assessment as soon as possible. Don’t let the federal government decide your fate. Start executing your defense strategy today.