Sacramento Federal Criminal Defense
Aggressive Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers Serving Sacramento
Are you subject to an FBI, DEA, or OIG investigation in Sacramento and want to find out what can be done against it? Did FBI agents try to interview you or someone you worked with? Were you served a grand jury subpoena or a target letter from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento, California? Are you concerned that your financial security and your freedom are at jeopardy? If so, please read this article carefully as it will provide you with information on the federal criminal justice system, the grand jury process, and the available opportunities to prepare an effective defense case.
Oberheiden, P.C. Is a Federal Criminal Defense Law Firm Assisting Clients in Northern and Eastern California
Oberheiden, P.C. is a frequently featured federal criminal defense law firm (e.g. 1380 KTKZ Radio Sacramento, Fox News National, etc.) that employs former Justice Department prosecutors and other lawyers with distinct federal law backgrounds. Clients of Oberheiden, P.C. know that they can rely on our vast experience in federal courts, our litigation skills, and the vigorous defense of our clients. Among our attorneys are:
- Former Department of Justice Trial Attorneys
- Former Federal Prosecutors, U.S. Attorney’s Office
- Former Special Assistant United States Attorneys
Oberheiden, P.C. knows what it takes to convince judges, juries, prosecutors, and federal agents of the innocence of our clients. Several decades of first-hand exposure to the federal justice process as members of the Department of Justice trial section allow us to quickly and accurately assess a case and to initiate proven defense techniques designed to secure acquittals or to avoid charges.
- 1,000+ Federal Cases Handled
- 1,000+ Grand Jury Subpoenas Handled
- Dismissal & Acquittals in Federal Cases
- 500+ Criminal Trials
- Avoided Criminal Charges in Many Cases
If you live in Sacramento, Alpine, Amador, Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, San Joaquin, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yolo, or Yuba counties — and you have reason to believe (or want to find out whether) you are of interest to the FBI, DEA, or Office of Inspector General agencies, then please contact us immediately for a free assessment.
This Is What You Need to Know About Penalties in Sacramento Federal Cases
An important policy change took place when the Attorney General of the United States, Jeff Sessions, recently issued a public memorandum to all federal prosecutors instructing them to substantially increase federal law enforcement activity throughout the country, including in Sacramento. The document, commonly referred to as the Sessions Memo, formally advises Assistant United States Attorneys to seek maximum sentences for violations of federal law. The following are among the most commonly investigated and prosecuted offenses by prosecutors in the Sacramento area.
Federal Drug & Opioid Conspiracy
- 21 U.S.C. 846 Conspiracy to Distribute Opioids, Furanyl Fentanyl, Carfentanil, Methamphetamine, Heroin, Marijuana, or Cocaine etc.
- 21 U.S.C. 846 Conspiracy to Possess with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance
Health Care Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1349 Conspiracy to Commit Health Care Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1347 Health Care Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1035 False Statements Relating to Health Care Matters
- 42 U.S.C. 1320a-7b(b)(2) Payment of Illegal Remuneration
- 42 U.S.C. 1320a-7b(b)(1) Receipt of Illegal Remuneration
- 21 U.S.C. 841 Distribution and Possession with Intent to Distribute Narcotics
Money Laundering, Wire/Mail Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1956 Money Laundering
- 18 U.S.C. 1349 Conspiracy to Commit Wire Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1349 Conspiracy to Commit Mail Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1341 Mail Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1343 Wire Fraud
If you or your business is on the government’s radar, or if you were recently arrested on federal charges in Sacramento or the surrounding communities, we offer you our help and litigation expertise. You can call us any day of the week, including on weekends, and we will be delighted to achieve for you what we have accomplished for so many other clients in the past.
- Federal Drug Conspiracies
- Controlled Substances Act
- Bank Fraud and Embezzlement
- Commodities Fraud
- Computer Fraud
- Consumer Fraud
- Corporate Fraud
- Federal Procurement Fraud
- Federal Program Fraud
- Health Care Fraud
- Insurance Fraud
- Investment Fraud
- Securities Fraud
- Tax Fraud
- Intellectual Property Violations
- Identity Theft
- Aggravated Identity Theft
- Mortgage Fraud
- Other Federal Fraud
- Theft of Government Property
- Customs Violations
- Environmental Offenses
- Money Laundering-Narcotics
- Regulatory Offenses
- Corruption & Bribery
- Terrorism Charges
- Internet Crimes
Why Do Sacramento Clients Trust Oberheiden, P.C.?
1. We Only Practice Federal Law
There are many good lawyers in Sacramento and throughout Northern and Eastern California. Finding the right lawyer to protect your interests and your freedom in a case when so much is at stake is among the most important decisions you will ever make. We suggest asking lawyer candidates these questions to test their expertise, their specialization, and their litigation availability.
- What Percentage of Your Practice Is Dedicated to Federal Criminal Law?
- How Many Federal Criminal Cases Have You Handled Before?
- How Many Federal Criminal Trials Have You Conducted?
Federal cases don’t call for experiments. If you are facing a federal criminal case, an investigation, a federal grand jury subpoena, or a federal target letter— you simply cannot afford to come in second place.
At Oberheiden, P.C., we are very transparent with our answers to these questions. The percentage of cases that we handle that are federal is approximately 95%. Combined, our attorneys have been involved in numerous capacities (trial lawyers, prosecutors, defense counsel, co-counsel etc.) in more than 1,000 federal criminal cases and approximately 500 criminal trials.
2. Our Results Demonstrate Our Experience
We are proud of our track record of avoiding, mitigating, and fighting charges. Our biggest success stories are the many cases, in which clients trusted us with their lives, freedom, and livelihood in the hope we could stop a pending case against them without the government actually bringing charges. And, we did; over and over, across the entire United States.
- We Dismissed Federal Indictments
- We Obtained Trial Acquittals in Federal Court
- We Avoided Federal Criminal Charges
- We Secured Probation Outcomes
Our team has obtained acquittals, dismissed charges, and probation sentences. For example, our attorney Nick Oberheiden recently convinced several federal judges in different courts in different federal cases involving different federal charges to favorably deviate from the Sentencing Guidelines and he secured (an unexpected) probationary outcome for each of his clients.
Recent Cases Include:
- Avoided Federal Charges in FBI Health Care Fraud Investigation
- Avoided Federal Charges in DEA Pharmacy Investigation
- Avoided Federal Charges in DEA Investigation of Prescribing Physician
- Avoided Federal Charges in an OIG Toxicology Investigation
- Avoided Federal Charges Against a Home Health Physician
- Avoided Federal Charges Against a California Business
- Avoided Federal Charges Against a Dental Group
- Avoided Federal Charges against a Physician in San Diego, California
- Obtained Probation in a Federal Health Care Fraud Case
- Obtained Probation in a Federal Computer Fraud Case
- Currently Serving as Trial Lawyers in more than 10 Federal Trials
3. Senior Attorneys Only
Oberheiden, P.C. does not use associates, paralegals, or legal secretaries. Our list of lawyers reveals experience, seniority, and competence. More so, all our attorneys fit the theme of the firm as federal defense attorneys. If you contact our group with your important Sacramento matter, you will be talking to lawyers with real experience and you will not be greeted by the partner and then delegated to the junior lawyer.
FAQs: Important Questions Regarding Federal Prosecutions in Sacramento
What Are the Penalties in Federal Cases in Sacramento?
Most federal judges in Sacramento follow the so-called Federal Sentencing Guidelines. These guidelines provide mathematical step-by-step calculations as to how to form a sentence. Among the many factors are the severity of the offense, the number of counts, the likelihood of future crimes, the criminal history of the defendant, and much more. In general, most federal offenses carry severe penalty ranges. For example, one count of mail and wire fraud allows the judge to sentence the convicted defendant to 0-20 years in federal prison. Similarly, violations of the Controlled Substances Act (e.g. 21 U.S.C. 841 or 21 U.S.C. 846) authorize Sacramento federal judges to consider up to 10 years in prison per each count. What is the best way to escape such sentences? Get experienced attorneys right away and as early as possible!
What Is Your Experience in Federal Cases?
Throughout our careers, our attorneys have handled in excess of a thousand federal investigations involving the FBI, the DEA, the Office of Inspector General, and many other federal law enforcement agencies. Importantly, many of the Oberheiden, P.C. attorneys were previously in charge of such investigations when serving as Assistant United States Attorneys and Department of Justice Trial Attorneys. More so, we have handled more than a thousand grand jury proceedings and tried or supervised several hundreds of federal criminal jury trials in federal courtrooms across the country.
What Are the Chances You Can Get Me Out of My Federal Case?
This is hard to answer without knowing more about your case. Generally speaking, the stage of your case is the most important factor for our case assessment. Have you already been arrested and charged, or did you just become aware of a possible case against you? The earlier clients contact us, the more time we have to intervene into the government’s case, and, with that, the higher the chance to succeed and avoid charges. Vice-versa, if you have been charged and are looking for trial counsel, you should speak to one of our former Department of Justice Trial Attorneys and explore appropriate and proven trial strategies. If you call us, we can discuss and assess your case and provide you specific answers based on our experience in similar cases.
Do You Charge for Initial Consultations?
No, Oberheiden, P.C.’s attorneys are available for a free and confidential consultation. Please call us today to get answers to your most pressing questions.
Call Today for a Free Case Assessment From Sacramento’s Skilled Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys
Oberheiden, P.C. is known for its federal practice because, unlike other firms, our practice is limited to federal law. We focus entirely on federal matters with special emphasis on defending clients accused of, or under investigation for, a federal offense, in particular federal fraud such as health care fraud, bank fraud, tax fraud — but also computer offenses, violations of the Controlled Substances Act, and many other offense-types. Contact our experienced team today.
Compliance – Litigation – Defense