Southern CA Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
Respected Southern CA Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
From Santa Barbara and San Bernardino to San Diego and all the thriving neighborhoods in between, federal authorities are hard at work targeting businesses and individuals in high-stakes criminal investigations all across Southern California.
Whether you live in Los Angeles proper or any other Southern CA community, you should know that federal agents have been directed to intensify their investigative efforts, with special focus on white-collar crime. The last few years have seen a dramatic increase in the number of arrests and criminal charges brought against hard working, highly respected career professionals.
As you can imagine, the consequences of a criminal allegation can be devastating. And agents are absolutely relentless in their efforts to achieve an indictment or arrest.
At Oberheiden, P.C., our Southern CA federal criminal defense lawyers help people and businesses who stand accused of a crime or for whom charges may be imminent.
In fact, we are able to intervene very early in the life of a criminal investigation. In these cases, our goal is to prevent charges from ever being filed. And in the overwhelming majority of our cases, we’ve been able to do just that.
If charges have already been filed, our goal is to get every charge dismissed. That means avoiding prison sentences, devastating fines, and the loss of your licenses.
We are a federal defense law firm with a national presence and an expansive track record. Our Southern CA federal criminal defense lawyers represent clients in a wide range of serious and complex criminal matters. Combined, our attorneys offer more than a century’s worth of experience in federal criminal matters. Our team includes former federal prosecutors who give our team invaluable insight into the government’s tactics and strategy.
Are You Being Targeted by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA in Southern CA?
A federal investigation is an extremely serious matter. Do not underestimate the gravity of the situation, and don’t make the mistake of handling things on your own. Every action you take, every statement you make, and even the things you don’t say or do can all have a dramatic impact on your outcome. Your freedom is on the line. If your business is in danger of being charged, the scope of criminal liability is often substantial enough to represent an existential crisis.
A criminal conviction can mean years or decades spent in prison. It can mean criminal fines that are effectively impossible to repay. It can mean irreparable to damage to your business, your livelihood, and your public reputation. It can mean the loss of fundamental rights of U.S. citizenship. And if you hold a professional license, that credential could be in jeopardy (even if the charges are later dismissed, as state licensing boards are not beholden to the decisions of a criminal court).
Choosing the right federal criminal defense team can make all the difference. Clients hire us to protect them and save them from the terrifying prospect of a criminal charge or conviction. At Oberheiden, P.C.:
- We Fight to Avoid Charges in Every Investigation. Never assume you are legally guilty of a crime or that charges are inevitable. In the overwhelming majority of investigations where we have been able to intervene prior to the filing of charges, we have effectively persuaded agents not to charge our client with a crime in the first place. This is the very best way to defeat a criminal case – before it begins. If the government hasn’t filed charges yet, there is still a chance to avoid them altogether. Our Southern CA federal criminal defense attorneys have even managed to avoid charges in some cases after an indictment.
- We Rely on Extensive Federal Experience to Execute Strong Defense Strategies. It’s one thing to be deeply experienced in federal criminal defense; it’s another to be experienced in federal prosecution. Several of the attorneys at Oberheiden, P.C., have both. By adding former federal prosecutors to our defense team, we have been able to leverage an invaluable “insider’s perspective” on our clients’ behalf. From negotiation and investigation intervention to courtroom advocacy, we have extensive experience on both sides.
- We Focus on the Unique Aspects of Each Individual Case. Your case isn’t like anyone else’s. So while we have cultivated many effective strategies over the years, we always tailor our approach to the unique fact pattern of each client’s specific situation. Details matter. It is often in the details that our Southern CA federal criminal defense lawyers find the best strategy for victory.
- We Help Our Clients Make Confident and Informed Decisions. Facing a criminal charge is one of the most terrifying experiences most people will ever face. From the first moment you make a mistake or become aware of an investigation, you need someone on your side to coach you, guide you, advise you, and help you avoid making costly mistakes. We give our clients confidence, a sense of security, and peace of mind during a very challenging ordeal. Just as importantly, we make sure you understand exactly what’s happening at all times.
- We Never Give In. The most effective approach to criminal defense is an aggressive one. Our clients don’t hire us to rush into a compromise. The stakes are too high to give up or give in. We believe in a full-throttle defense, and our Southern CA federal criminal defense attorneys don’t let up until we’ve done everything we can for the people we represent.
Federal Defense Lawyers for All Criminal Matters in Southern CA
White-collar professionals are sometimes targeted for more than just “white-collar crime.” While much of our work is focused on issues such as health care fraud, tax fraud, and financial criminal defense, we are also available for a wide range of other criminal matters.
We have seen career professionals in Southern California prosecuted for many different criminal offenses, from internet and computer crimes to violent crimes or sex offenses. Whatever the situation may be, our Southern CA federal criminal defense attorneys provide comprehensive, aggressive, and resourceful criminal defense. Our experience includes:
- Health care fraud (Medicare fraud, false claims, Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law, etc.)
- Conspiracy to commit fraud
- Counterfeiting / Forgery
- Drug charges & conspiracies
- Insurance fraud
- Internal Revenue Code violations (tax crimes)
- Internet & computer crimes
- Mail fraud, wire fraud, and bank fraud
- Public corruption
- Securities & Exchange Act violations
- Securities fraud
- Sex crimes
- Theft, embezzlement, and money laundering
- Title 18 issues
- Violent crimes (e.g., assault, battery, rape, manslaughter, murder)
- White-collar crimes
Why Am I Being Investigated by the…
…Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
As the country’s primary federal law enforcement agency, the FBI handles a wide range of criminal investigations. FBI agents may be involved in some capacity in virtually any federal criminal matter. That said, the FBI is most closely focused on: drug crimes, internet and computer crimes, child sex crimes, public corruption charges, organized crime, and terrorism. The FBI also investigates federal conspiracies relating to those crimes. (Learn more about the FBI’s mission.)
…Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
Many federal departments are overseen by an Office of Inspector General, or OIG. The OIG for the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS – OIG) has been especially active in investigating matters of health care fraud in Southern California. If you are being investigated by the HHS – OIG, it is possible that Medicaid / Medicare auditors have detected abnormal billing patterns from your practice or have otherwise received incriminating information from a whistleblower or qui tam litigant. Alternatively, in matters of mail fraud (or criminal matters that involve the U.S. Postal Service), the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) may be involved. The USPIS is a law enforcement agency operating under the purview of the OIG for the Postal Service.
…Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
The IRS is so much more than a tax collection agency. It also has a large and powerful law enforcement arm that investigates potential violations of the Internal Revenue Code. If you are being investigated by the IRS in Southern California, you may be suspected of underpaying your taxes, underreporting your income, intentionally deceiving the IRS, or otherwise violating federal tax law. Additionally, the IRS assists in investigating many other federal crimes for which there might be a tax-related element (e.g., money laundering, embezzlement, securities fraud, white-collar financial crimes, etc.).
…Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
If you are being investigated by the DEA, it is possible that agents suspect your practice is involved in diverting opioids, painkillers, or other addictive prescription medications. Alternatively, the DEA may be investigating you in connection with illegal street drugs: manufacturing, possessing, buying, distributing, or trafficking. The DEA may also be involved in health care fraud cases where the purported fraud involves a violation of the Controlled Substances Act. DEA investigations are sometimes conducted covertly, using undercover agents, secret informants, hidden surveillance, or investigations disguised as routine reviews.
Q&A with a Federal Defense Attorney for FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA Investigations in Southern CA
A: Some investigations move more quickly than others. As a general rule, the longer an investigation has been in process, the more imminent charges become. For this reason, we strongly prefer to get involved as early in a matter as possible and we urge you not to waste valuable time by delaying contact with an attorney. Criminal targets are frequently caught by surprise. It is not unusual for the FBI, IRS, DEA, and OIG to investigate quietly and behind the scenes. When our Southern CA federal criminal defense lawyers are hired to represent the subject of an investigation, we work immediately to find out the current stage of the investigation. The most important takeaway here, though, is that you should never assume it’s too late. Never assume you are guilty either. Remember: there is a difference between feeling guilty and being legally guilty. At Oberheiden, P.C., we have been able to end investigations in a great many of cases without charges ever being filed – sometimes even very late in the process or even after a grand jury has issued an indictment. So please do not hesitate to call.
Q: I Need a Defense Lawyer to Get Involved Right Now. Can You Help?
A: Yes. We have developed an Emergency Defense Package and can deploy it at a moment’s notice. In other words, we have sufficient resources at the ready to spring to action immediately. If you need us involved today, we can be. While we always prefer to intervene at an earlier stage of the investigation, we understand that legal exigencies exist, and we are prepared for them. For example, we have had clients call us during an FBI or DEA raid that they never saw coming, and we were able to respond emergently. In fact, if you are facing an urgent legal crisis, now is exactly the time you should call our proven Southern CA federal criminal defense lawyers. Don’t wait another second. Oberheiden, P.C., is standing by 24/7.
Q: Does Your Law Firm Represent Clients Throughout Southern CA? Can You Come to Me?
A: Yes. We maintain a national presence, and our attorneys are able to represent clients nationwide. We have represented clients throughout 21 states and counting, including California. We will come to you. We typically begin by conducting a free case assessment via telephone or video conference, and then our attorneys are available to travel throughout the SoCal region on a moment’s notice.
Talk to a Federal Defense Lawyer about Your FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA Investigation in Southern California
The Southern CA federal criminal defense lawyers at Oberheiden, P.C., have substantial experience in high-stakes criminal investigations. If you believe you may be targeted, we are ready to leverage our extensive experience from both sides of a DEA, FBI, OIG, or IRS investigation and develop a customized strategy for you.
In every case, our goal is to avoid charges (or get them dismissed if already filed). We care fiercely about the outcome of our cases. We will fight to protect your freedom and save your professional licenses. That means keeping you in business, out of prison, and away from the crippling financial liability of a guilty verdict.
For more information and legal advice relevant to the specifics of your investigation, please set up a free and confidential case assessment with our office, right away. Simply call our Southern CA federal criminal defense lawyers at (214) 692-2171 or tell us how we can help online. Please do not delay.