Southern FL Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
South Florida might feel far away from the watchful eye of Washington, D.C., but make no mistake: federal agents are very active throughout the Sunshine State, including investigations in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Fort Myers, Naples, and even the Keys.
Whether you are under investigation or arrest, you need to make arrangements for a vigorous legal defense, right away. Because federal criminal matters are different from state investigations and because the stakes in any federal inquiry are incredibly high, you should seek out a law firm that has specific and extensive experience in federal criminal defense – preferably with direct experience in resolving matters with the FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA.
Oberheiden, P.C., can help. We are a federal defense law firm with a national presence, representing clients throughout Southern Florida in complex or challenging criminal law matters.
If you are involved in any way with a criminal investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Department of Justice (DOJ), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), or the Office of Inspector General (OIG) of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), we urge you to call our Southern FL federal criminal defense lawyers, right away.
Our attorneys have well over 100 years of combined experience in federal criminal matters. Several of the lawyers in our office actually spent years as federal prosecutors before joining our defense team.
No matter what you have done, no matter how big a mistake you think you’ve made, no matter how pressing the investigation may be, and no matter how frightening the potential charges might seem, if you need criminal defense or legal guidance in Southern Florida, our federal criminal defense lawyers are here to help you.
Are You Being Targeted by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA in Southern FL?
A federal investigation usually isn’t the beginning of the story, but it’s also far from the end.
What do we mean by that? If you are aware of an investigation into your business practices or your individual conduct, it is probable that the government has already gathered some information about you. People rarely know they are being targeted by the feds until the agents have already been working the case for some time.
But it’s far from the end because there is still so much a defense attorney can to do to make a difference in your case. While we can never make specific guarantees in advance, you should know that our attorneys have avoided the filing of charges in the overwhelming majority of cases we’ve handled. We have even persuaded the government not to file charges in the late stages of an investigation – even after a formal indictment.
In other words, if you haven’t been charged yet, there is still a real opportunity to keep that from happening. And if you haven’t been convicted, it is still possible to get the charges dropped altogether. That is our goal: avoiding charges or getting them dismissed if they’ve already been filed.
But you must be very careful from this moment on. When you’re a federal target, everything you say or do can have consequences. The best thing you can do is contact our experienced Southern FL federal criminal defense lawyers. At Oberheiden, P.C.:
- We Fight to Avoid Charges in Every Investigation. We don’t believe in begging for a plea bargain on Day One. Our ultimate goal in every legal matter is to avoid the filing of criminal charges. There is simply no better way to protect our clients. So we get involved while the investigation is still happening – as early as we possibly can – and begin immediately to aggressively protect our clients against the government. Through negotiation, strategy, and sound advice, Southern FL federal criminal defense attorneys have helped the majority of our clients end the investigation with zero criminal charges being filed.
- We Help Our Clients Make Confident and Informed Decisions. Not sure how to answer a federal agent’s questions? You aren’t alone. In fact, trying to talk to an investigator on your own is extremely dangerous. They might seem friendly. Their questions might seem harmless. The whole thing might seem routine. Don’t fall for that trap. The government is not on your side, and it will gladly put you behind bars for years or decades to come. Let us give you smart advice to stay a step ahead and protect your interests. With us in your corner, you can proceed calmly, wisely, and with peace of mind.
- We Focus on the Unique Aspects of Each Individual Case. Details matter, so we pay attention to them. One of the most critical parts of our defense work is the initial conversation we have with you. That’s where, more often than not, we learn the facts that make all the difference – the facts our skilled Southern FL federal criminal defense lawyers use to avoid charges and defend your interests.
- We Rely on Extensive Federal Experience to Execute Strong Defense Strategies. Because several of our defense lawyers have extensive experience on both sides of federal agency work (they’ve been on the investigative/prosecutorial side and on the defense side), we are able to execute strong defense strategies for our clients in Southern Florida.
- We Never Give In. Simply put, we are aggressive. That’s how our committed Southern FL federal criminal defense lawyers defend you – with our foot on the gas pedal and our eyes on the prize: getting charges dropped or avoiding them in the first place, protecting your professional licenses, and getting this criminal nightmare out of your life for good.
Southern FL Federal Defense Lawyers for All Criminal Matters
Much of our practice is devoted to legal representation for white-collar professionals, businesses, or employees. This includes:
- Healthcare providers
- Medical business owners and executives
- Corporate officers
- Corporate entities
- Stock brokers or financial advisors
- CEOs, CFOs, and other executives or corporate officers
- Public officials
- Public figures
However, we have significant experience in many other areas of federal criminal defense and with agencies beyond the FBI, DEA, HHS – OIG, and IRS. If you are facing a complex or high-stakes criminal issue, we want to help. Our experience in federal criminal law matters include:
- Healthcare fraud (Medicare fraud, false claims, Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law, etc.)
- Conspiracy to commit fraud
- Counterfeiting / Forgery
- Drug charges & conspiracies
- Insurance fraud
- Internal Revenue Code violations (tax offenses)
- Internet & computer crimes
- Mail fraud, wire fraud, and bank fraud
- Public corruption
- SEC Matters
- Securities fraud
- Sex crimes
- Theft, embezzlement, and money laundering
- Title 18 issues
- Violent crimes (e.g., assault, battery, rape, manslaughter, murder)
- Whistleblower cases
- White-collar criminal charges
Why Am I Being Investigated by the…
…Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
The FBI is the United States’ chief law enforcement agency. The FBI has been specifically tasked with investigating cases related to internet and computer crimes, child sex crimes, public corruption charges, organized crime, and terrorism. The FBI also investigates federal conspiracies and racketeering relating to these crimes. Beyond that, the FBI might be involved in virtually any other federal investigation, including drug matters being overseen by the DEA or healthcare fraud matters being overseen by the HHS – OIG.
…Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
The OIG oversees law enforcement on behalf of the Department of Health & Human Services. Its stated mission is to protect the integrity of the various United States healthcare programs. Accordingly, if you are being investigated by the HHS – OIG, it is likely in connection with Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, or Department of Labor (FOL) fraud.
…Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
The DEA plays a central role in all federal drug-related investigations in Southern Florida, though it may work with the FBI or other U.S. or Florida State agencies at the same time. The DEA is best known for busting people for possession or distribution of illegal street drugs. But it is equally aggressive when it comes to the diversion of prescription medications such as painkillers and opioids. In fact, diversion control is currently among the DEA’s top priorities.
…Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
You may have gone your whole life without encountering the FBI, OIG, or DEA. But you have almost certainly encountered the IRS before. You might have even spoken with them on the phone in the past, asking questions about your tax obligations or making arrangements for payment plans. If so, it is easy to assume a false sense of comfort when dealing with the IRS in a criminal matter. But make no mistake: the IRS has a substantial criminal enforcement division. It aggressively targets individuals and businesses suspected of underreporting income, underpaying taxes, making misrepresentations, or violating the Internal Revenue Code (IRC).
Q&A with a Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer for Southern FL
Q: What are the penalties for federal crimes?
A: The penalties vary dramatically, depending on the offense and the surrounding circumstances. On the low end, you could be looking at thousands of dollars in fines or a matter of years in prison. On the high end, you could be looking at millions of dollars in fines and decades behind bars in a federal prison. In fact, because white-collar criminal offenses, like those discussed on this website, are often considered serious in nature, they tend to carry penalties on the heavier side of that spectrum. If you hold a professional license, that could be in danger too. As federal criminal defense lawyers for Southern Florida, one of the first things we do is contact the investigating agencies directly and find out exactly what the investigation entails. From there, we can discern what the potential penalties might be, how advanced the investigation is, and whether charges are imminent. Using that information, our proven Southern FL federal criminal defense attorneys then begin immediately to develop a strong strategy for avoiding the filing of charges so that those penalties are never even put on the table.
Q: I need a defense lawyer to get involved right now. Can you help?
A: Yes. We have developed an Emergency Defense Package, which we can roll out on a second’s notice. What does that mean? Essentially, we have set aside sufficient resources within our firm such that we can meet a clients’ urgent needs. The last thing we want is to pick up the phone and tell a client who’s standing face to face with a federal agent, “Sorry, we’re all booked.” If you need us right now, we are ready to launch into action. While we always prefer to intervene during an earlier stage of an investigation, we certainly understand that a legal crisis can strike with very little warning. We are prepared for that. We have even had clients contact us during an active raid, and we were able to respond. In fact, if you are facing an urgent legal crisis, now is exactly the time you should call our Southern FL federal criminal defense lawyers. Please do not delay. We always have someone standing by: 24/7/365 and even on holidays.
Q: Do you represent clients all throughout Southern FL? Can you come to me?
A: Yes. We maintain a national presence, and our attorneys are able to represent clients nationwide. We have represented clients throughout 21 states and counting, including Southern Florida. We will come to you. We typically begin by conducting a free case assessment via telephone or video conference, and then our attorneys are available immediately to travel throughout the South Florida region.
Talk to a Federal Defense Lawyer about Your FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA Investigation in Southern FL
If you or your business are concerned about a federal criminal investigation or if you fear that federal suspicion could turn your way soon, now is the time to act. The decision you make in this moment could change the rest of your life. Do not underestimate the federal government, its resources, or its willingness to use them. You are nothing more to a federal prosecutor than an opportunity to boost their conviction rate.
For more information and legal advice tailored to the specifics of your matter, please set up a free and confidential case assessment with our office, right away. Don’t go through one second of an investigation on your own. Call the highly respected and winning Southern FL federal criminal defense lawyers at 888-680-1745 or tell us how we can help online, right away.