Tallahassee Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
Proven Tallahassee Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
In recent years, federal authorities have been actively targeting business and individuals in Tallahassee in a wide range of criminal investigations – from Cascades Park to the Florida State University and Florida A&M areas, the Florida State Capitol building in Downtown Tallahassee, and beyond.
Whether you are under investigation or arrest, you deserve to have experienced Tallahassee federal criminal defense lawyers on your side.
Federal investigations represent an extreme risk to your freedom and your career. Individuals (including corporate officers, doctors, medical professionals, and high-level personnel) may face substantial criminal fines and/or jail time in addition to the possibility of having their professional licenses permanently revoked.
Additionally, businesses charged with crimes may face insurmountable judgments of financial liability.
Whatever the accusations might be, if you are currently under suspicion, investigation, or arrest for a federal crime, you need to take immediate action to protect your freedom and your career.
Oberheiden, P.C., is a criminal defense law firm with a national presence, representing individuals and businesses in Tallahassee across the whole spectrum of federal criminal law.
Our team has extensive experience handling investigations and/or allegations involving the:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General (HHS – OIG)
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS),
- United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and
- Virtually every other federal law enforcement agency.
Altogether, our Tallahassee federal criminal defense attorneys represent more than 100 years of combined legal experience, specifically in matters of criminal law. That experience spans both sides of a case; several of our attorneys are former federal prosecutors who can give our clients invaluable insight into the feds’ strategies, playbook, and approach.
We are a law firm that offers serious, experienced, aggressive, and strategic legal defense. Our goal is to avoid the filing of charges in every case or, if charges have already been filed, getting them dropped before there’s a trial. However, we are prepared to provide an aggressive, unfettered defense at trial, if necessary, and we have a robust track record inside the courtroom as well.
Are You Being Investigated by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA in Tallahassee?
If you are currently being targeted by a federal law enforcement agency, these are the highest stakes you will face in your life. It is critical that you grasp the potential consequences: imprisonment, a criminal record, staggering fines that are all but impossible to pay, a damaged reputation, the suspension / revocation of your professional licenses, and even the end of your hard-earned career.
The federal government is extremely aggressive and will stop at nothing to add another conviction to its record. You can’t afford to take any chances with your freedom.
A strong legal defense can make all the difference. Remember: everything you say and do from this point on can fundamentally affect your future. That includes the choice you make about legal representation. And it begins the moment you make a mistake or learn you are under investigation.
At Oberheiden, P.C., our committed Tallahassee federal criminal defense lawyers help our clients navigate the inordinate complexities of federal investigations and protect them in any direct communications with a federal agency.
Don’t wait for charges to get filed or for the situation to get worse. Take action to protect yourself before it’s too late; call us now.
- We Fight to Avoid Charges in Every Investigation. No matter how scary your situation looks, if the government hasn’t acted by filing charges yet, there is still a chance for us to avoid prosecution on your behalf. While we cannot guarantee a particular outcome, we are proud of our track record, having resolved the overwhelming majority of our clients’ cases without charges ever being filed. And make no mistake: avoiding charges is the very best outcome available. It is always our primary goal.
- We Focus on the Unique Aspects of Each Individual Case. Every case is different, and every situation presents its own paths toward resolution. Through experience, our highly skilled Tallahassee federal criminal defense lawyers have come to understand the right questions to ask, the right information to gather, and the right way to custom-develop a defense strategy geared toward the optimal resolution.
- We Rely on Extensive Federal Experience to Execute Strong Defense Strategies. Criminal defense hinges on insight and strategy. Oberheiden, P.C., offers the benefit of insight from both sides of FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA investigations. Because we have refined our approach over many years of experience, we believe we can level the playing field for our clients and pursue the strategies that have the highest likelihood of achieving a favorable outcome.
- We Help Our Clients Make Confident and Informed Decisions. Facing a criminal case is extremely frightening. First and foremost, our clients want to make the situation go away. But they also want someone who can answer their questions and tell them which steps to take (and not to take). For example: Should you answer federal agents’ questions? What happens if you miss a deadline for a civil investigative demand (CID) or administrative subpoena? What should you do if you suddenly become aware of evidence that might be used against you? These aren’t questions you can ask just anyone. But our Tallahassee federal criminal defense attorneys are here with confident and confidential guidance at every step along the way.
- We Never Give In. We believe in taking an aggressive approach to defending our clients. From the moment we get involved, we keep our foot on the gas pedal. We don’t hit the brakes until we’ve done everything possible to end the investigation and make the charges go away.
Federal Defense Lawyers for All Criminal Matters in Tallahassee
While much of our practice is devoted to representing professionals, corporate officers, or public figures who are facing complex, high-stakes federal concerns, we also provide representation to a wide range of other businesses and individuals. This includes general criminal statutes such as the Controlled Substances Act as well as industry-specific statutes such as the Anti-Kickback Statute and the Securities and Exchange Act.
Our proven Tallahassee federal criminal defense lawyers are available to provide defense in virtually any federal matter or alleged violation of the U.S. Code. This includes:
- Bank fraud
- Conspiracy and Attempt
- Federal drug charges
- Health care fraud (including Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, etc.)
- Insurance fraud
- Internet & computer crimes
- Mail fraud
- Money laundering
- Public Corruption and Bribery
- Sex crimes
- Stockbroker fraud / Financial advisor fraud
- Tax violations
- Title 18 of the U.S. Code issues
- Violent crimes
- White-collar crimes / financial crimes
- Wire fraud
Why Am I Being Targeted by the…
…Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
The FBI is the primary agency responsible for enforcing federal laws in the United States. Specifically, the FBI is tasked with investigating terrorism, computer crimes, internet crimes, organized crime, and public corruption. (Learn more about the FBI’s investigative mission.) The FBI also works directly with other state and federal agencies, meaning it may also be involved with a wide range of other federal crime investigations.
…Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
The official mission of the HHS – OIG is “to protect the integrity of Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) programs as well as the health and welfare of program beneficiaries.” Accordingly, the OIG exists as a subset of the HHS, responsible for enforcing those sections of the U.S. criminal code pertaining to health care. OIG investigations often pertain to Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, or DOL fraud.
…Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
While most people think of the IRS as an agency principally interested in collecting tax revenues, the agency also has considerable power as a criminal enforcement division. The Service is responsible for policing individuals (and businesses) suspected of underreporting income, underpaying taxes, or committing other violations of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). The IRS also assists the FBI and other agencies in financial or tax-related investigations.
…Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
The DEA plays a role as both a regulatory agency and a law enforcement agency. This complicates matters because, as a health care provider, you may believe you are engaging with DEA representatives in their regulatory capacity; when in fact, their routine questioning or auditing is being used to build a serious criminal case. Most people associate the DEA with illegal street drugs. But the DEA also polices prescription drugs. In fact, one of the DEA’s top priorities is diversion control (stopping the unlawful distribution of opioids or prescription painkillers). Oberheiden, P.C., provides DEA defense in drug matters of all kinds: prescription and otherwise.
Q&A with a Federal Defense Attorney
Q: What are the penalties for federal crimes?
A: The penalties for federal crimes can vary significantly, but they are almost always serious. They can range from years of imprisonment to decades of imprisonment; from thousands of dollars in criminal fines to millions of dollars in fines. Quite simply, a federal conviction can ruin lives. If a business entity is being charged, it can mean the end of the business (and often does). The various corporate officers in that business can have their reputations permanently impacted, too.
Q: Does the federal government negotiate plea bargains?
A: Yes. If, for some reason, we are not able to avoid charges in your case (or if you have already been formally charged with a crime), negotiating a plea bargain may be your best option. However, generally speaking, plea bargains should not be a first resort. That is the mistake that defendants and some defense attorneys can make. At Oberheiden, P.C., our Tallahassee federal criminal defense attorneys have convinced prosecutors to drop charges in many cases. Do not resign yourself to a plea bargain until you have fully explored all your options with an attorney who has real, veteran experience in negotiating these matters with federal agencies like the FBI, DEA, IRS, OIG, and so on.
Q: Can your firm represent me in Tallahassee, FL?
A: Yes. We maintain a national presence and our attorneys are able to represent clients nationwide. We have represented clients in 21 states and counting, including Florida. We can conduct an initial case review over the phone. After that, our attorneys are available to travel to Tallahassee (or anywhere else in the Big Bend or Panhandle) on a moment’s notice.
Speak with our Tallahassee Federal Defense Lawyers about Your FBI, IRS, DEA, or OIG Investigation
Oberheiden, P.C.’s federal defense team has significant experience in high-stakes federal investigations. If your business, practice, or reputation is at risk, we can use our experience on both sides of FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA investigations to develop a tailored strategy. Our one and only goal is protecting you. That means keeping you in business, out of prison, and away from the financial destruction that a federal criminal conviction could bring.
For more information and legal advice relevant to the specifics of your investigation in Tallahassee, please set up a free and confidential case assessment with our office, right away. Simply call our dedicated Tallahassee federal criminal defense lawyers at (888) 519-4897 or tell us how we can help online now.