Tampa Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
Federal agents are currently conducting criminal investigations and making arrests throughout Tampa, Florida, and all across Hillsborough County – from Downtown Tampa to Town ‘n’ Country, Ybor City, Forest Hills, Seminole Heights, Temple Terrace, and beyond.
These are high-stakes investigations. Whether you are under investigation or are currently facing arrest, you deserve to have a deeply experienced, proactive, and aggressive ; on your side.
Oberheiden, P.C., is a federal defense law firm with a national presence that represents clients throughout Tampa and Central-West Florida in matters involving the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General (OIG), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and other federal agencies.
Cumulatively, our seasoned Tampa federal criminal defense lawyers have well over 100 years of experience in federal criminal matters, and several of our attorneys served as federal prosecutors before entering private practice.
Federal investigations present extreme risks. The penalties can include steep fines, years-long prison sentences (decades in many cases, including some white-collar and/or drug-related matters), the loss of professional licenses, and more. Businesses, too, can face insurmountable criminal fines. But hiring the right lawyer can make all the difference.
Are You Being Targeted by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA in Tampa?
If you think you may be the subject of federal suspicion or if you are aware of an active investigation (or any facts or evidence that might support a criminal allegation against you at some point in the future), you must proceed with caution. Every action you take and every statement you make from this point forward could have an impact on your case.
For this reason, it is in your best interest to work with experienced defense counselors who can help you navigate the myriad complexities of a federal investigation.
At Oberheiden, P.C., our Tampa federal criminal defense lawyers are determined to protect our clients throughout any direct communication with the federal government. Additionally, our attorneys:
- Fight to Avoid Charges in Every Investigation. If the feds have not yet filed formal charges against you, there is still a meaningful opportunity to keep that from happening. Don’t make the mistake of assuming it’s too late to change the outcome of your investigation. In the overwhelming majority of cases, we have been able to keep our clients from getting charged with any crime.
- Draw on Our Extensive Federal Experience. We believe our experience on both sides of a federal investigation empowers us to defend our clients from a standpoint of insight. Over the course of many years, our Tampa federal criminal defense lawyers have refined our approach, which includes intervening in ongoing investigations, negotiating on our client’s behalf, and providing aggressive criminal defense at every turn.
- Focus on the Unique Aspects of Your Case. Every single situation is different. Often, it is the small details in a case that end up being the decisive factors in our clients’ victories. Our committed Tampa federal criminal defense lawyers are dedicated to learning your story inside and out and exploring every path toward a positive outcome, including those that might not seem obvious at first.
- Help Our Clients Make Smart, Confident, and Informed Decisions. Communicating with federal agents can be treacherous. They do not have your best interests at heart. Anything you say to them can (and likely will) be used against you. Having an experienced hand to guide you can make all the difference. Our clients turn to us for sound advice, protection, and peace of mind.
- NEVER Give In. Simply put, we are an aggressive law firm. That’s how our Tampa federal criminal defense lawyers defend you: with our foot on the gas pedal and our eyes on the prize. We fight to protect your professional licenses and/or registrations; defend your reputation, good standing, and public goodwill; and get ALL charges dropped (or keep them from getting filed in the first place) – every time.
Tampa Federal Defense Lawyers for All Criminal Matters
While much of our practice is devoted to representing health care providers, corporate officers, corporate entities, public figures, public officials, and professionally licensed individuals, we also represent clients across the whole spectrum of federal criminal defense in the United States, including:
- Bank fraud
- Conspiracy / Attempt crimes
- Controlled Substances Act violations
- Counterfeiting / Embezzlement
- Drug charges
- Health care fraud (Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, DOL, Anti-Kickback Law, Stark Law, etc.)
- Insurance fraud
- Internet & computer crimes
- Mail fraud
- Money laundering
- Public Corruption and Bribery
- Securities and Exchange Act crimes
- Securities fraud
- Sex crimes
- Tax crimes (violations of the Internal Revenue Code)
- Title 18 of the U.S. Code issues
- Violent crimes
- White-collar crimes / financial crimes
- Wire fraud
Why Am I Being Investigated by the…
…Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
The FBI is the United States’ chief law enforcement agency, and it maintains a heavy presence in the Tampa region. While the FBI is involved in a number of different federal investigations, it is principally tasked with investigating matters of terrorism, internet abuse, public corruption, conspiracy, and organized crime. Read more about the FBI’s stated mission here. The Bureau also works directly with state agencies, meaning a state investigation can quickly turn into a federal investigation (or vice versa).
…Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
The OIG is the office responsible for enforcing federal health care law on behalf of the United States Department of Health & Human Services (HHS). It is dedicated to protecting federal health care benefits programs, including Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, and others. OIG investigations are often related to Medicare billing discrepancies, the submission of false claims, or other health care criminal matters.
…Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
The DEA is responsible for investigating drug-related offenses at the federal level. If you are a health care provider, the DEA may be investigating drug diversion (that is, the misappropriation of prescription substances). DEA agents are especially interested in the diversion of opioids, painkillers, and other addictive medications. Alternatively, if you are a white-collar professional being investigated by the DEA but do not have a connection to the health care industry, you may be under investigation for possessing, buying, selling, or conspiring to distribute illegal street drugs. Oberheiden, P.C., is available to help in any of these matters.
…Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
In addition to collecting your taxes each quarter and every spring, the IRS is also responsible for enforcing the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). As such, it is a law enforcement agency and should be regarded with the same seriousness, caution, and discretion as the DEA, OIG, or FBI. A seemingly “routine” IRS audit could turn into a criminal investigation if the Service finds evidence of wrongdoing. Even if you are being advised by an accountant on ordinary tax matters, if you are being investigated by the IRS in the Tampa Bay area in connection with any potential violation of the IRC, you should contact our experienced Tampa federal criminal defense attorneys right away. Oberheiden, P.C., can help.
Q&A with a Federal Criminal Defense Attorney in Our Firm
Q: How long does a federal investigation last? When will I be charged?
A: Without knowing the details of your situation, it is impossible for us to know how imminent charges might be.
Generally speaking, if an investigation is still in its early stages, we have the greatest chance of intervening and avoiding all charges. Conversely, the longer an investigation goes on, the greater the likelihood that agents will find evidence they can use to build a case.
That said, our highly skilled Tampa federal criminal defense lawyers have many times been able to avoid the filing of charges even when an investigation has already matured to some extent – in some cases, even after a grand jury indictment. That is an accomplishment we are very proud of.
Unfortunately, you might not know how long the IRS, FBI, DEA, or OIG has been working against you. These agencies are good at what they do behind the scenes. So when we enter a case, one of the first things we do is determine the current stage of the investigation. That information informs our strategy.
However, you should never assume it’s too late. For that matter, you should never assume you are guilty. There is a difference between legal guilt and the feeling of guilt you might be carrying around inside. We have been able to end investigations without charges in the majority of our cases. So please never hesitate to call; never delay.
Q: Why are federal agents targeting Tampa?
A: For practical reasons, the federal government concentrates its resources in major metropolitan areas. Take Medicare fraud, for example. There are only nine cities in the whole country where the federal government has established a Medicare Fraud Task Force – nine cities with a big a population, a large number of benefit recipients, and a history of fraud. Tampa is one of those cities.
The agents working out of the Tampa office investigate the whole Tampa Bay region and even beyond that, so anyone living in the vicinity of Tampa needs to be careful. But it’s not just health care fraud. Federal agents are actively investigating, raiding, and arresting on a very wide range of crimes in Tampa – from drug trafficking or stockbroker fraud to internet crimes and even child pornography.
In so many cases, these investigations are rushed. The charges are not supported by the facts. That’s why we step in and shine a light on the government’s over-eagerness or errors.
Q: Can your firm represent me in Tampa Bay, FL? Do you travel?
A: Yes. We maintain a national presence and our attorneys are able to represent clients nationwide. We have represented clients in 21 states and counting, including Florida. We typically begin with a free case review by phone or video conference (confidential and with no obligations), and then our attorneys are available to travel to Tampa on a moment’s notice.
Speak with Our Tampa Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys about Your FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA Investigation
Oberheiden, P.C.’s federal defense team has significant experience in high-stakes federal investigations. If your business, practice, or reputation is at risk, we can use our experience on both sides of FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA investigations to develop a tailored strategy. Our one and only goal is protecting you. That means keeping you in business, out of prison, and away from the financial destruction that a federal criminal fine could bring.
For more information and legal advice relevant to the specifics of your investigation in Tampa, please set up a free and confidential case assessment with our office, right away. Simply call our Tampa federal criminal defense lawyers at 888-680-1745 or tell us how we can help online now.