Dallas Corporate Compliance Lawyers
We help businesses in Dallas meet their federal compliance obligations. Call us to get started today.
4131 N Central Expy, #900
Dallas, TX 75204
Corporate compliance means different things for different companies. But, regardless of whether you own a local retail business in Dallas, Texas or you are an executive or in-house attorney at a large publicly-traded company, you need to have a clear understanding of your company’s compliance obligations, and you need to make compliance a priority.
Why? Because the risks of non-compliance can be substantial. Federal non-compliance can lead to substantial penalties; and, if your company is not structured appropriately, its owners could be at risk for personal liability. Registered and licensed businesses can lose their registrations and licenses, and federal contractors and program participants can lose their eligibility to receive federal funds.
Federal Corporate Compliance Lawyers in Dallas, TX
Headquartered in Dallas, our firm represents local, regional, and national companies with respect to federal corporate compliance. Our Dallas federal criminal lawyers are highly experienced, including past experience as U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) lawyers, U.S. Attorneys, and Assistant U.S. Attorneys who prosecuted corporations for all types of federal compliance deficiencies.
We also have non-lawyer compliance consultants who specialize in specific areas of corporate compliance. These individuals’ past experience includes serving in high-level positions with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), U.S. Department of Defense (DOD), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS), and other federal agencies. With deep knowledge of the federal regulatory and law enforcement systems, we are able to help our clients make informed decisions about compliance, and we are able to help companies develop comprehensive compliance programs that prevent federal inquiries and provide clear defenses when inquiries arise.
Meet the federal compliance lawyers and consultants at Oberheiden P.C.
Corporate Compliance is about More than Just Policies and Procedures
What does it take to be compliant? For many companies, this is literally the million-dollar (or multi-million-dollar) question. At the federal level, compliance violations can be extraordinarily costly, and many companies simply cannot afford to overlook their compliance obligations. Our Dallas corporate compliance lawyers have extensive experience advising companies of all sizes and in all major industries, and we can use this experience to help your company avoid expensive shortcomings.
Different companies have different compliance obligations at the federal level. Size and industry are the two major factors for determining what is necessary. However, other factors can come into play as well, and this means that companies’ compliance programs must truly be custom-tailored to their specific structures, operations, risks, and needs. As corporate compliance counsel, our services for companies in Dallas include:
1. Corporate Structural and Organizational Assessment
We start at the beginning. By this, we mean the beginning of your company’s existence. What made sense in terms of corporate structure and organization when your company was founded might not make sense today, and what served to protect your company then might not protect your company now. When it comes to federal compliance, you cannot afford to make any assumptions, and when we say our approach is comprehensive, we mean it. Before we start making recommendations, we will ensure that we have the information and insights we need to custom-tailor our advice to your company’s current needs.
2. Risks and Needs Assessment
Next, we will conduct a risks and needs assessment that, once again, is tailored to your company’s structure and operations. No two companies’ compliance needs are exactly the same, and unless your company’s compliance program reflects your company’s specific needs, it is not going to be as effective as it should be. Our corporate compliance lawyers and consultants will thoroughly assess all pertinent areas of federal compliance, and we will develop a compliance strategy that is designed to provide complete protection without anything that is unnecessary.
3. Compliance Program Documentation
Once we know what is necessary, then we will develop your company’s compliance documentation. At many other firms, this is the first step, but in our lawyers’ view, this approach is severely misguided. Federal compliance is simply too complex—there are too many areas and too many nuances—for any off-the-shelf compliance program to serve its intended purpose. We build our clients’ corporate compliance programs from the ground up based on a comprehensive understanding of federal law and our clients’ specific compliance burdens.
4. Compliance Program Training and Implementation
Many firms’ corporate compliance services end with the delivery of policies and procedures as well. However, a compliance program is only as effective as its implementation. Once we develop our clients’ corporate compliance policies and procedures, our lawyers and consultants continue to work with our clients to provide appropriate internal training and implement our clients’ newly-developed policies and procedures on an organization-wide scale.
5. Compliance Monitoring and Enforcement
In addition to initial training and implementation, ongoing monitoring and enforcement are also critical components of an effective corporate compliance program. We work with our clients’ compliance officers and in-house lawyers to develop monitoring protocols, and we provide guidance regarding internal enforcement when necessary. Documenting these efforts is another critical component of mitigating risk in the event of a federal audit or investigation, and we provide advice, resources, and representation for documenting our clients’ monitoring and enforcement efforts as well.
6. Event Response Preparedness and Execution
While the ideal scenario is that implementing a comprehensive compliance program prevents issues altogether, as a practical matter, your company’s employees are going to make mistakes. When they do, your company needs to be prepared to respond swiftly and appropriately. We incorporate response preparedness provisions into our corporate compliance programs, and our corporate compliance lawyers and consultants remain available to our clients on an as-needed basis.
What are Your Company’s Areas of Need?
Many companies’ compliance burdens are far greater than their executives and in-house lawyers realize. In one way or another, federal laws and regulations touch on virtually all aspects of doing business, and discrete transactions and events can trigger legal obligations with which companies must be proactively prepared to comply. Our attorneys and consultants represent companies in Dallas with respect to all aspects of federal compliance, including:
- Antitrust Compliance – The Sherman Act and other federal antitrust laws are intended to prohibit anti-competitive conduct, but their reach extends far beyond prohibiting monopolies and price fixing between competitors. Companies of all sizes can face antitrust compliance obligations, and maintaining compliance can be essential to avoiding unwanted federal scrutiny.
- Consumer Finance Compliance – Consumer lending, credit reporting and other consumer financial services are heavily regulated at the federal level and subject to strict oversight by the Consumer Finance Protection Board (CFPB) and other federal authorities.
- Data Security and Privacy Compliance – Federal data security laws require companies to maintain adequate security protocols and self-report breaches in many cases. Increasingly, companies in Dallas are finding themselves subject to state and international (i.e. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)) compliance obligations as well.
- Employment Law Compliance – Employers face a host of federal compliance obligations. From anti-discrimination compliance to compliance with the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and Form I-9 regulations, companies that are not careful can face significant liability in the employment law arena.
- Environmental Law Compliance – Environmental law compliance is another high-risk area for many companies. From the enabling regulations under the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act to Superfund compliance, there are numerous issues that can lead to enforcement action against energy companies, construction companies, transportation companies, and other entities.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Compliance – The FCPA imposes substantial compliance burdens for the companies to which it applies. Both domestic and foreign transactions can trigger FCPA enforcement action, and companies must ensure that all relevant personnel are thoroughly trained on the law’s prohibitions and exceptions.
- Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDCA) Compliance – Similarly, for drug makers, medical device companies, and other corporations and institutions that are subject to the FDCA, maintaining compliance can present various challenges. We have extensive experience advising companies with regard to FDCA compliance and representing clients in matters involving the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Compliance – The FTC oversees many aspects of U.S. commerce. From advertising laws and regulations to e-commerce issues and protection of consumer data, companies must ensure that their compliance programs thoroughly address all issues that fall within the FTC’s enforcement jurisdiction.
- Securities Compliance – Both public and private companies can face securities law compliance obligations. We represent public companies in all filing and other U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) compliance matters, and we help private companies implement policies and procedures that are designed to avoid securities law implications.
- Industry–Specific Compliance – In addition to the above compliance obligations (among others) that apply to companies generally, many companies are also subject to extensive industry-specific laws and regulations. We represent healthcare, transportation, energy, and other clients in all aspects of industry-specific federal compliance.
Contact the Dallas Corporate Compliance Lawyers at Oberheiden P.C.
For more information about our corporate compliance practice, please contact us to arrange a complimentary initial consultation with one of our senior attorneys. To speak with a Dallas corporate compliance lawyer in confidence, call us at 972-846-8818 or inquire online today.
Additional Pages for Dallas, Texas
- Dallas corporate investigations
- Dallas employment litigation defense
- Dallas False Claims Act & Qui Tam defense
- Dallas federal criminal defense
- Dallas grand jury subpoenas
- Dallas healthcare fraud defense
- Dallas hospice & home health fraud defense
- Dallas hospital compliance and audits
- Dallas ICE and I-9 audit defense
- Dallas Medicare fraud defense
- Dallas pharmacy compliance and audits
- Dallas white collar criminal defense