West Palm Beach Federal Criminal Defense (FBI, OIG, IRS, DEA)
West Palm Beach is an expansive city all its own with a booming population and economy. It is home to major corporations and employers, from Ion Media and General Dynamics to Cemex, Sikorsky Aircraft, and The Palm Beach Post.
It’s also home to numerous federal criminal investigations, owing in part to its proximity to Miami, which is one of the nation’s major hotspots for federal agency offices.
Agents are conducting raids and making arrests throughout the greater West Palm Beach area – from the Bel Air Historic District to Flamingo Park, and even in the incorporated cities of Jupiter, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, and Boca Raton.
If you are currently under investigation or if you have been arrested, you need Oberheiden, P.C.’s West Palm Beach federal criminal defense attorneys on your side.
Federal investigations present extreme risks, even if they seem straightforward or routine. Individuals (including corporate CEOs, health care providers, and other high-level personnel) can face exorbitant criminal fines and extensive prison time. Likewise, businesses can face insurmountable financial liability. Additional penalties include the loss of state licensure or federal registration (such as DEA registration).
Moreover, the West Palm Beach region is home to many celebrities, public figures, public officials, and individuals of high net worth. Cases of this nature attract a great deal of media attention, which helps federal agencies meet certain political directives, petition for bigger budgets, and “make an example” for the public.
For these reasons, anyone working in health care, finance, government, corporate enterprise, or any other highly visible or lucrative white-collar sector should take great care whenever interacting with the federal government.
Oberheiden, P.C., is a federal defense law firm with a national presence that represents clients throughout West Palm Beach in matters involving the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General (OIG), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
Our skilled West Palm Beach federal criminal defense attorneys have well over a century of combined experience in federal criminal matters, and many of our attorneys served as federal prosecutors before entering private practice.
We have extensive experience in handling the sensitive media, PR, and public image concerns that these matters raise, in addition to our considerable track record in criminal defense.
Are You Being Targeted by the FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA in West Palm Beach?
If you are being targeted by any federal agency (including the IRS, FBI, OIG, or DEA) or if you believe, for any reason whatsoever, that you might soon be implicated in a criminal investigation or allegation, you should take steps immediately to retain experienced federal defense counsel.
Dealing with the federal government can be dangerous. Let Oberheiden, P.C., protect you throughout this treacherous process. Here’s what we offer:
- We Fight to Avoid Charges in Every Investigation. Few life experiences are as frightening as learning that you are under federal investigation. However, if you have not yet been formally charged with a crime, there is still an opportunity to avoid prosecution. While we can’t make guarantees in advance, our proven West Palm Beach federal criminal defense attorneys are proud of our current record and have resolved many of our clients’ cases without charges being filed. Avoiding charges is always our primary goal.
- We Rely on Extensive Federal Experience to Execute Strong Defense Strategies. The attorneys at Oberheiden, P.C., aren’t just experienced defense lawyers; many of our attorneys are former federal prosecutors, too. The extensive experience that our office carries has allows us to effectively represent our clients. We are familiar with the way the FBI, IRS, OIG, and DEA approach audits and criminal investigations. Moreover, these agencies know our attorneys. While we oppose them, we have a reputation in their offices as credible, passionate, aggressive, and effective advocates for the people and businesses we defend.
- We Focus on the Unique Aspects of Each Individual Case. Facts always matter. Asking the right questions matter, too. That applies to the questions we ask you. You can count on us to get to know you, fully understand your situation, and assess your case from every conceivable angle. Our dedicated West Palm Beach federal criminal defense attorneys offer passionate, understanding, and judgment-free defense.
- We Help Our Clients Make Confident and Informed Decisions. Almost certainly, there are things you don’t know about how to handle your case. For instance: Are you required to answer the questions a federal agent is asking you? Should you cooperate with their requests? What happens if you ignore a request or demand? We can help you answer these types of difficult questions, confidently and without fear.
- We Never Give In. Oberheiden, P.C., is committed to providing an aggressive approach to every client and every case. From day one, our zealous West Palm Beach federal criminal defense attorneys fight tirelessly for our clients. Our mission is always to prevent charges, avoid fines, save your professional licenses, defend your public image, and keep you out of prison.
West Palm Beach Federal Defense Lawyers for All Criminal Matters
While much of our practice is devoted to representing health care providers, corporate officers, corporate entities, public figures, public officials, and anyone who holds a professional license, we also represent many other individuals and businesses. Our West Palm Beach federal criminal defense lawyers have experience defending against a wide range of criminal allegations, including:
- Attempt allegations
- Bank fraud
- Conspiracy and other inchoate crimes
- Controlled Substances Act (CSA) violations
- Federal drug charges
- Health care fraud (including Medicare, Medicaid, and TRICARE fraud, Anti-Kickback accusations, and so on)
- Insurance fraud
- Internet & computer crimes
- Mail fraud
- Money laundering
- Public corruption and bribery
- Securities and Exchange Act crimes
- Securities fraud
- Sex crimes
- Tax violations
- Title 18 of the U.S. Code issues
- Violent crimes
- White-collar crimes / financial crimes
- Wire fraud
Why Am I Being Investigated by the…
…Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
The FBI is the primary agency responsible for enforcing federal laws in the United States, and its agents are very active in the West Palm Beach region. While the FBI may be involved in a wide range of federal investigations, it is principally tasked with investigating terrorism, internet crimes, organized crime, public corruption, and drug crimes (usually in conjunction with the DEA). Learn more about the FBI’s investigative mission. The FBI also works directly with state agencies, meaning a state investigation can become a federal investigation or vice versa.
…Office of Inspector General (OIG)?
The OIG is the primary law enforcement arm of the United States Department of Health & Human Services, better known as HHS. It is charged with the duty of protecting the various federal health care programs against costly fraud, waste, or abuse. If the HHS – OIG is investigating you, you may be suspected of submitting false claims to Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, or the Department of Labor.
…Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
The IRS isn’t merely responsible for collecting your taxes each quarter and every spring. It also investigates criminal violations of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). Even a routine IRS audit could turn into a criminal investigation if the IRS finds evidence of wrongdoing or suspects criminal intent. If you are being investigated by the IRS in the West Palm Beach metropolitan area, you may be suspected of underreporting your income, underpaying your taxes, or otherwise violating federal tax law. Additionally, the IRS assists in FBI and other federal investigations that might involve tax claims (e.g., money laundering, securities fraud, Medicare fraud, white-collar financial crimes, etc.).
…Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?
The DEA investigates criminal violations pertaining both to street drugs and prescription medication (especially prescription painkillers, opioids, and any other prescribed substance prone to abuse). Diversion control is currently among the DEA’s top priorities, stopping the unlawful distribution and use of addictive drugs. As the country’s drug epidemic gets worse, the DEA continues to allocate greater resources toward the problem.
Q&A with Oberheiden, P.C.’s Federal Criminal Defense Team
Q: Am I really guilty of a federal crime?
A: Perhaps the single biggest mistake people make at the beginning of a federal investigation is assuming their own guilt. It’s all too easy for someone to think, “If the government is investigating me, I must have done something wrong.”
To convict someone, the government must have proof beyond a reasonable doubt of each element. If our West Palm Beach federal criminal defense attorneys can challenge even one element beyond a reasonable doubt, it means our client is not guilty of the crime.
Remember: the fact that you are still under investigation means that the federal government has not collected enough evidence to file charges yet. You still have numerous opportunities to defend yourself. Our attorneys at Oberheiden, P.C., have a lot of experience, and we can help.
Q: Why are federal agents targeting West Palm Beach?
A: Even though federal agents are responsible for investigating and policing the entire country and even though they have extensive resources, those resources only go so far. Accordingly, they concentrate much of their investigative activity in bigger metropolitan areas.
West Palm Beach attracts a lot of federal attention because of its proximity to Miami, its large population of high-profile or high-income-earning individuals and families, the large corporate presence in the community, and a historical reputation for things like “doctor shopping” and fraud.
Nearby Miami is actually home to one of just nine federal Medicare Strike Force headquarters in the whole country, meaning the whole area is a hotbed of federal activity. Of course, crimes of any kind (not just health care fraud) can happen in West Palm Beach. We have seen federal agents bring virtually every kind of charge in this area, and Our West Palm Beach federal criminal defense lawyers are ready to step in to protect and defend our clients.
Q: Can your firm represent me in West Palm Beach, FL?
A: Yes. We maintain a national presence, and our attorneys are able to represent clients nationwide. We have represented clients in 21 states and counting, including Florida. We can conduct your complimentary case assessment by phone or video conference, and our attorneys can then travel to West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Jupiter, Boca Raton, or any of the surrounding communities on just a moment’s notice.
Speak with our West Palm Beach Federal Defense Lawyers about Your FBI, OIG, IRS, or DEA Investigation
Oberheiden, P.C.’s federal defense team has significant experience in high-stakes federal investigations. If your business, practice, or reputation is at risk, we can use our experience on both sides of FBI, OIG, IRS, and DEA investigations to develop a tailored strategy. Our one and only goal is protecting you. We will tirelessly strive for a favorable outcome for your case.
For more information and legal advice relevant to the specifics of your investigation in West Palm Beach, please set up a free and confidential case assessment with our office, right away. Simply call our West Palm Beach federal criminal defense lawyers (888) 519-4897 or tell us how we can help online now.