What Is Healthcare Litigation?
Call Us on Weekends
Disputes in the healthcare arena can cover a wide variety of issues, from partnership disputes to employment disputes to reimbursement disputes to lawsuits against your competitors. And while some of the issues raised by such litigation may be common to other businesses, the regulated nature of the healthcare industry means that you need an attorney who not only is an professional in the courtroom and at civil procedure, but one who is familiar with the unique challenges faced by your business.
For example, in every litigation, the parties engage in discovery. However, in the healthcare arena, that discovery must be handled with an eye towards protecting the client from violating HIPAA or other statutes that protect the identity of your patients. Moreover, the attorney must be aware of anti-kickback, Medicare fraud, and other laws so that your responses do not inadvertently and wrongfully suggest that your business has violated any federal or state healthcare statutes.
Below are just some examples of the types of disputes that may require the assistance of experienced health-care litigators:
- Criminal investigations or qui tam suits for accusations of violation of the Stark Act, False Claims Act, or other state and federal laws
- Reimbursement litigation, including prompt payment claims and ERISA violations
- Employment discrimination defense
- Disputes over employment contracts, including non-competition, non-disclosure, and non-solicitation provisions
- Disputes about staff privileges and credentialing
- Bankruptcies of vendors, hospitals, or other companies to whom you are a creditor
- Trademark and copyright litigation
- HIPAA violations
- Unfair competition and tortious interference by competitors
When you need attorneys to handle bet-your-business or other high-exposure cases, you want someone who is experienced in the courtroom, at arbitrations and mediations, and in various state and federal appellate venues. For more information on our healthcare practice and a free consultation, please contact Oberheiden, P.C.. Every call will receive a response from one of our senior attorneys with years of healthcare and litigation experience.
A Team You Can Trust
When a dispute is between healthcare executives or involves open or underlying healthcare matters, allegations of Medicare Fraud, Medicaid Fraud, Tricare Fraud, Anti-Kickback violations, wrongful billing, or other fraudulent practices under the False Claims Act, you need attorneys that are profoundly familiar with your industry and that have ample amounts of court room experience. The attorneys of Oberheiden, P.C. have successfully prosecuted and defended civil and criminal healthcare litigations in courts across the country, including Florida, New York, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and many other states.
- Nick Oberheiden has successfully represented healthcare executives, physicians, and healthcare businesses in investor and partnership disputes, reputation management cases, internal investigations, shareholder lawsuits, SEC investigations, as well as civil prosecutions involving the Department of Justice, the Department of Defense, and the Department of Labor, among others. Dr. Oberheiden is trained and certified in negotiations and dispute resolutions by Harvard Law School and Heidelberg Law School and he holds a Ph.D. in law, a Juris Doctor from UCLA Law School as well as a J.D. equivalent from his native Hamburg, Germany.
Our team is ready to assist you with your case. Give one of us a call for a free and confidential consultation and let us assess the right strategy to accomplish your goals.
This information has been prepared for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information may constitute attorney advertising in some jurisdictions. Reading of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. Prior results do not guarantee similar future outcomes. Oberheiden, P.C. is a Texas PC with headquarters in Dallas. Mr. Oberheiden limits his practice to federal law.