Cleveland Federal Defense
Zealous Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys with U.S. Department of Justice Experience Representing Clients in Cleveland, Ohio
Our firm brings over 70 years of federal prosecutorial experience to representing individuals and businesses being targeted in investigations and facing federal charges in Cleveland, Ohio.
Several of the attorneys on our criminal defense team previously served long tenures with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), and all of our defense lawyers focus their practice in federal criminal matters. When you are under investigation or facing charges from the federal government, you need to match your legal representation to your present circumstances. A federal defense attorney who primarily handles state cases may not have sufficient experience regarding federal investigations, plea negotiation procedures, and court processes to represent you effectively.
Also, a single federal defense lawyer will not likely be able to match the firepower and resources of the DOJ, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and the various other federal agencies that may all be involved in your case. In order to level the playing field, you need a team of federal criminal defense lawyers who have a significant amount of first hand experience in investigations and at trial. You need the federal criminal defense team at Oberheiden, P.C.
Meet Our Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
Our federal criminal defense team includes former DOJ prosecutors and experienced defense attorneys who have handled thousands of federal cases across the country, including Cleveland. We have extensive experience in the areas of:
- healthcare fraud,
- computer and internet crimes,
- financial and securities crimes,
- other white-collar crimes,
- allegations of drug crimes,
- and other serious federal offenses.
At Oberheiden, P.C., we take a unique team approach that affords each client the full benefit of our senior attorneys’ collective experience. Your case will not be assigned to a single attorney who already has a case load he or she cannot handle, and we will not pass off assignments to junior associates when your future is on the line.
Cases We Handle
We have represented clients in federal cases involving almost all criminal offenses. This includes handling cases from the earliest stages of an investigation (our preference, as it gives us the greatest opportunity to help our client avoid charges), representing clients in grand jury proceedings and indictments, negotiating plea deals with federal prosecutors, and fighting vigorously to protect our clients against unjust prosecution at trial. Our experience includes, but is not limited to, representing clients being investigated and charged under:
- 18 U.S.C. 1341 – Mail fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1343 – Wire fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1347 – Healthcare fraud, including Medicare fraud and Medicaid fraud
- 21 U.S.C. 841 – Distribution and possession with intent to distribute
- 21 U.S.C. 846 – Conspiracy to distribute
- 18 U.S.C. 924 – Possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense
- The Hobbs Act
- The Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO)
- The Anti-Kickback Statute
- The Controlled Substances Act
- The False Claims Act
- Other federal statutes outlawing public corruption, bribery, tax fraud, tax evasion, securities fraud, insider trading, Ponzi scheme fraud, mortgage fraud, and other criminal offenses
How We Protect Our Clients at All Stages of Federal Criminal Cases
We are trial attorneys who have a proven track record of securing favorable verdicts in federal court. However, we emphasize resolving our clients’ cases as quickly as possible, and we have resolved the majority of our clients’ cases without criminal charges ever being filed. When you engage our federal criminal defense team to represent you, our services may include:
- Fighting to Avoid Criminal Charges – If at all possible, we want to protect you against facing federal criminal charges in the first place. If you contact us while your investigation is pending, we can intervene in the process in order to assess the severity of your situation and with the goal to work in your case against the government’s attorneys to achieve a best outcome.
- Executing a Comprehensive Pretrial Defense Strategy – When our clients are facing trial on federal criminal charges, we pursue an aggressive pre-trial strategy that involves challenging the government’s evidence and asserting any affirmative defenses that may be available.
- Arguing for Dismissal Prior to Trial – From the moment we take your case, we will begin building and executing a comprehensive defense strategy focused on having your case resolved favorably without the need to go to court. Ideally, this means avoiding charges; however our goal may also be to have our clients’ charges dismissed prior to trial.
- Seeking to Obtain Bond – If you have been detained and are eligible for bond, obtaining bond will be a critical early step in your criminal case. While federal bond matters present a variety of unique challenges, we have close to a 100% success rate in obtaining bond for our clients.
- Strategic Bench Trial or Jury Trial Representation – If your best option is to go to trial, we will provide savvy, detail-oriented, and aggressive representation in front of the judge or jury. With an extensive trial record in federal criminal court, we have experience in what it takes to demonstrate that the government has failed to meet its high burden of proof.
Your Defense Team for When Good Isn’t Good Enough
If you are facing substantial financial penalties and decades of federal imprisonment for a criminal offense (or multiple criminal offenses), you cannot afford to compromise on your legal representation. You need a criminal defense team with a focus in federal matters, and with the resources and intellectual capital needed to efficiently and effectively protect you to the greatest extent possible. With our decades of experience on both sides of federal criminal cases, we have the experience to address your needs.
FAQs: Defense Representation for Federal Criminal Matters in Cleveland, OH
Q: Am I entitled to legal representation during a federal investigation?
Yes, and it is critical that you seek legal representation as soon as possible. With only very few exceptions (such as during grand jury testimony), you are entitled to legal representation at all stages of the federal criminal process.
Q: How important is prior experience in federal criminal matters?
Prior experience is critically important. The prosecutors handling your case likely have extensive experience, and you need a legal team that can level the playing field. Ideally, your legal team should not only have strong federal credentials, but specific experience in cases similar to yours.
Q: Can I expect my charges to be dropped if I hire Oberheiden, P.C.?
We cannot guarantee the outcome of any particular case. While the majority of our clients never face trial, your circumstances may be such that prosecution is unavoidable. If you would like a free assessment of your federal case, we encourage you to contact us immediately to schedule a confidential consultation.
Schedule a Free and Confidential Consultation With Cleveland’s Decisive Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
If you need legal representation for a federal criminal matter in Cleveland, Ohio, your first step is to schedule a free and confidential consultation. You can contact our offices 24/7, and if we are not available immediately a member of our team will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.