Clients approach attorney Dr. Nick Oberheiden to seek effective protection against criminal prosecution, license revocations, complex litigation, and regarding questions of corporate compliance. Nick represents clients in civil and criminal cases.
Results. Clients from more than 30 states have hired Nick to represent them against government investigations, grand jury proceedings, whistleblower cases, criminal prosecution, as well as to assist in corporate compliance audits and federal litigation proceedings. Known for his exceptional analytical skills and effectiveness, Nick has saved his clients from charges in 92% of his federal cases (including grand jury proceedings) and in every False Claims Act matter.
Recognition. Featured for his litigation practice by media stations in all 50 States, Nick has made a name for himself in many high-profile cases such as the Michael Cohen investigation (former attorney to the President), cases of national significance involving the U.S. Department of State, the United States House Committee on Ethics, the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Department of Justice, the Office of Inspector General, the Bureau of Diplomatic Security, and the FBI. As perhaps one sign of his broad peer recognition— of all lawyers available—current DOJ-prosecutors, federal agents, and lawyers routinely choose Nick when facing internal DOJ/OIG probes, criminal investigation, or license revocations.
FBI, OIG & DEA Investigations: A large portion of Nick’s work involves the defense of healthcare providers and businesses in DEA opioid cases, healthcare fraud, kickback, Medicare Fraud, and insurance fraud cases. Additionally, Nick has resolved a plethora of federal conspiracy charges, Controlled Substances Act cases, mail fraud, wire fraud, money laundering, computer offenses, major public corruption, bribery, investor fraud, tax fraud, bank fraud and other matters in courts, at U.S. Attorney’s Offices, and before federal agencies virtually across the United States.
Litigation & Trials: Nick set his first federal precedent when he, in the early stage of private practice, convinced a federal judge to break with 70 years of established practice and redefined the subpoena authority of attorneys under Rule 45 Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. In that case alone, Nick quashed 14 federal subpoenas. A former member of the elite White & Case, LLP New York International Arbitration & Litigation Group, Nick has appeared in litigation proceedings throughout the country and never once lost a motion for summary judgment, a motion on jurisdiction, or a whistleblower case.
Accolades. Judges have described Nick as “extremely eloquent” and “well-known expert in healthcare cases” and clients have added that Nick is a “federal litigation superstar“ and a “true lifesaver.” Nick has written several widely published books, articles, and blogs and he has taught constitutional law and federal procedure on five continents. Nick’s Ph.D. thesis, a critical analysis of constitutional interpretation, was personally enriched by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Breyer, the Chief Justice of Brazil, and others.
Nick is licensed to practice in
- Washington D.C.
- New York State Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
If you have any question regarding a civil or criminal case or investigation, please contact Nick directly for a free and confidential consultation.